Slow dry PVC cement.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by syncman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. syncman

syncman New Member

Hot tub repair, 2" PVC manifold fittings that cracked in winter, due to control failure.Had to cut off 2" pipe flush with manifold, and pipes have very little flex, or space, so my thought is slip an "internal repair coupling" into the pipe on one side, line up other pipe and slide half way back. Obviously regular PVC cement will grab too quickly, so I need some sort of adhesive that will give me time to maneuver things into place. I am NO plumber. Removing the fittings and replacing them is problematic, as these 5 port manifolds each have 5 pipes that then need replacing. Now I would have 1x2" and 10 x 1" pipes to replace plus a LOT of spray insulation stripping.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...w=134&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:78
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Maybe it would be best to get a plumber.

Just 1 leak and you have problems.

Just thinking...
  3. syncman

syncman New Member

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A repair coupling without the ridge in the center with standard PVC glue give you plenty of time.
    You just slop the glue on on go for it. Inside the fitting and on the pipe, both surfaces.

Now looking at your pictures, that's going to be a tough job.
    You may want to pick up some more flex PVC and see if you can add a bit of extra pipe in the loops.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

looking at that "tee" I cannot imagine ANY way to repair it. A standard "internal coupling will have a ridge in the center so you cannot "lose it" inside the pipe, and since that connection is "fitting to fitting" and the socket itself is cracked, your chances are almost nil.
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

It will all need to be replaced.

Terry's idea is good for someone that wants to tackle the job.

If it was mine I would put a heat tape or some safe protection just to keep it from freezing again.

Sounds like a job that needs a good helper.

Love Helper.jpg
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Sounds like a job that needs a good helper.

Some would say that a helper like that doesn't have to be GOOD. Slightly naughty would be acceptable.