Slow drip from refill tube

Users who are viewing this thread

greggor36

Reaction score
Hello - I am hoping someone can help solve my problem. I have a toilet that has a single drip of water every few seconds drop from the refill tube into the overflow pipe. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so what did you do to stop it? I’m pretty sure at the rate it is dripping it would take a long time but would the toilet bowl eventually fill up if I don’t get it fixed. Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet bowl can't 'fill up' unless there is a clog somewhere, so don't worry about that. If it's dripping there, it's also going into the tank. Does the tank ever get so high it drains into the overflow tube? The hose from the fill valve can take a number of minutes to empty, and it may eventually stop. If you don't notice the tank filling up, it's probably normal.

Otherwise, if the tank does keep filling, then the fill valve needs to be serviced or replaced. Some have an easily replaced seal, some have no repair parts, and you have to replace the whole thing. Two of the more popular ones are made by Korky and Fluidmaster...I prefer the ones from Korky, but some swear by Fluidmaster...either works in the vast majority of toilets out there

greggor36

Reaction score
Thank you for replying! I appreciate your helpful answer. I haven't noticed the tank filling any higher. I've been watching it over the last few days and some days it does eventually stop but then other days it seems like it's dripping throughout the day. I don't know much about toilets so I apologize if this is a dumb question...I have a Toto toilet so if I have to replace the fill valve, can I go ahead and use a Korky or Fluidmaster one or does Toto have their own fill valve that only work in their brand? Thank you again!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thank you for replying! I appreciate your helpful answer. I haven't noticed the tank filling any higher. I've been watching it over the last few days and some days it does eventually stop but then other days it seems like it's dripping throughout the day. I don't know much about toilets so I apologize if this is a dumb question...I have a Toto toilet so if I have to replace the fill valve, can I go ahead and use a Korky or Fluidmaster one or does Toto have their own fill valve that only work in their brand? Thank you again!

Korky maxperformance 528mpk at lowes. The one with silver cap and only that one.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Toto uses a couple of different valves, but if you have one in your toilet that Korky made, instead of replacing the whole thing, the only wear part is a seal, which costs about $3, and takes about a minute to replace without tools.

greggor36

Reaction score
Thank you for replying jadnashua! I'll look into replacing the seal. Thank you for your help! This board is awesome!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My pleasure! For an advanced course, Toto obtains fill valves from two or three suppliers, depending on which plant your toilet is built in. A lot of the US-built and Mexico-built Toto toilets will have a Korky fill valve inside. It is usually set at the Korky factory to the proper refill ratio, that is, the percentage of the water coming into the valve that goes down the overflow riser to refill the bowl. Toto's toilets vary on the refill ratio, usually between 28 and 40 percent. So those will have a green cap or a blue cap or some other cap. The valves are basically-identical inside, except that there's a little device inside that controls and sets the refill percentage and isn't user-changeable. The 528MaxPerformance brings the little device that sets the refill percentage to a spot outside the valve, so the user can set it with a little knob, between zero and 40 percent. So that's why we recommend it.

Here's the advanced-student part: If your current fill valve is shaped more-or-less like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=32 then it's a Korky-made fill valve. ALL the Korky 528s (and they have a few models, including the custom ones they make for Toto), have the moving parts, the seal, contained in a little cap that looks like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007?keyword=r528 They all use the same little interior cap.

If you have an issue with the valve, it can almost-certainly be solved by replacing that little cap for $4. It takes less than 5 minutes to do so, and you don't have to remove the valve from the toilet. You can also "service" the valve by cleaning it at that time, and there's a video on how to do so.

The other valves that Toto uses don't have this feature, so that's why it's nice to replace it with the 528MaxPerformance when it comes time to do so. Toto actually has a part that it sells, TSU99A.X, that is essentially a 528MP, and they call it Universal Replacement Fill Valve for Toto toilets. It's effectively the same thing, so you might as well just get the part at Lowe's for 2/3 the price (or less).

Hope this helps.

PS Oddly, Home Depot sells a number of Korky fill valves, and sells the little R528 cap, but does NOT sell the 528MaxPerformance. Lowe's sells the 528MP (or MPK they call it), but doesn't sell that little R528 cap. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

greggor36

Reaction score
Wow, thank you for all the information as well as the video. I'm still a rookie in toilet repair.

I do have a follow-up…I checked this morning and the water in the tank is definitely rising. I’m guessing it will soon spill into the overflow pipe. Sorry for another dumb question but can the tank overflow if I don’t get to fix the toilet for a few days or will the water just continue spill into the refill pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since the refill tube is a "bypass" that flows because the tank fill pipe cannot use all the water from the fill valve, logic would say that it cannot happen because of a leaking fill valve, otherwise the leak would go in to the tank, not the refill tube. How far is the refill tube inserted down the overflow pipe? Your final posting says the tank level IS rising which means you probably need a new fill valve.

greggor36

Reaction score
Thank you for replying! The refill tube is clipped above the overflow pipe - not down in at all. I agree with you. Thanks again for the help!

SHR

Reaction score
I always replace the fill valve and the problem is immediately solved. No worries about did the fix work? The popular Fluidmaster 400A fill valve can be purchased at any big box store for around $6.50. The Korky valves are similarly reasonably priced and they are Made in the USA. Although replacing the seals in any of these fill valves should be relatively easy and straightforward, I still always replace. The fill valve replacement project should only take a novice about 15 minutes. Just follow the manufacturers instructions and remember to place a small container, like an ice cream bucket, under the fill valve connection in order to catch any water that comes out when the old valve is removed.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The only wear part in either the Fluidmaster and Korky valves is an easily replaceable seal...unless there is some physical damage to the valve otherwise, it's kind of a waste to replace the whole thing. Now, if it is some old contraption with a big float valve on an arm, then, the best thing is to replace the whole valve...otherwise, it's just money out the door.

greggor36

Reaction score
Thank you for your help and tip! I will replace the fill valve as you suggest and pray it goes well. I'm not very skilled in toilet repair but this is how I get experience. I'm always up for a challenge. Thank you again! Love this board!

greggor36

Reaction score
You got me thinking jadnashua...maybe I'll pop it open and take a look first before getting into a whole replacement. It's worth a check on the seal. Thank you for giving me your best...it does make sense. Thanks again!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You got me thinking jadnashua...maybe I'll pop it open and take a look first before getting into a whole replacement. It's worth a check on the seal. Thank you for giving me your best...it does make sense. Thanks again!

As I indicated to you, if your valve looks like the one in the video, then you can fix it, most likely, by replacing that seal with the r528 cap.

A standard Fluidmaster 400A WILL NOT REFILL your toilet properly, if it's a Toto. Just get the 528MP like we told you. It's a version of what Terry Love uses; need we say more.

greggor36

Reaction score
I hear ya...so true! Thank you again! I'll give an update once it's done.

greggor36

Reaction score
Will do! You guys are the best and I can't express my gratitude enough for you all passing along your knowledge!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks