slow draining toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

peche

Reaction score
I have a toilet off of my kitchen that has worked fine for a decade. Recently, it has been draining slowly, and sometimes not at all. When it does not drain immediately it fills to the rim and then drains slowly. It is not vented to the outside; instead, there is a screw vent/filter in the basement. Three, different plumbers have tested the system and when they unscrew the filter and flush the toilet, it flushes fine. They have replaced the filter with a larger one and that has not helped. The other toilets in my house flush fine. All, roof vents have been checked and are clear. The plumbers have run a snake from the toilet to the drain line in the basement and all is clear. They have advised that I do not need to run an augur from the drain line to the street because if there was a blockage there would be water backup elsewhere, which there isn't. The clay drain line was replaced with PVC piping around 20 years ago. The three plumbers advise that I vent the toilet to the outside. None of them can figure out why the toilet worked for a decade and now does not work well or at all.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the toilet DOESN'T drain with the vent in place, but DOES when you remove it, THE SEWER LINE IS OBSTRUCTED, regardless of what is happening elsewhere in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks