Slow Draining Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ernieden

Reaction score
I recently remodeled my bathroom and had a licensed plumber re-locate the sink waste line so it would line up with my pedestal sink. He raised the line 3 inches. The line is a T with the top of the T venting up, and the other side is for the waste flow out.

I installed the pedestal sink with p-trap and tail pipe and have noticed that after 4-5 seconds of the water being turned on, the water starts backing up and drains very slowly there after.

I have tried to remove and re-install the p-trap and that has not worked. This bathroom has hardly had any use, and I am a new homeowner, so I really do not know how well the bathroom worked beforehand because I was remodeling the bathroom day one after closing.

Attached is a picture of the tail pipe (yes, it is missing the nut and washer)
IMG00566.jpg

and picture of the old and new plumbing
IMG_7059_copy.jpgIMG_7331_copy.jpg

I'm not sure what to try to troubleshoot to find the problem. Thoughts?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere the drain line has been raised, if he did what I think adding two ells to get the drain up you have major problems, you will have to cut back into the wall :eek:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Seeing as you say you had a licensed plumber do this simple drain modification, I am inclined to think that he couldn't have done something foolish....although I have been wrong plenty of times before with that assumption.

Since you say you just bought the place and started reno's right after closing, and the fact that you have galvanized piping, I would think that the lines are just clogged more than you are used to. You may want to get the drain camera'd.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do not show the revised sink drain in either picture. I would also like to see a picture of the sink. Does it have an overflow opening inside the sink's basin?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
without an overflow hole, a sink can drain slowly, as you have described.

When you said you had a plumber do this and that to the drain line, it can lead people to believe that the same sink was moved. I'll bet you changed the sink.

ernieden

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the observations. I was thinking there may have been something more severly wrong, but turns out that all I needed was a little liquid plumber to clean out the drain pipe and now the sink drains with no issues.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the observations. I was thinking there may have been something more severly wrong, but turns out that all I needed was a little liquid plumber to clean out the drain pipe and now the sink drains with no issues.
I got an adaptor that goes from aerator threading to garden hose threading. A half-foot length of the hose with the tap full on usually blasts the drain clean.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; all I needed was a little liquid plumber to clean out the drain pipe

What you really mean is you used some drain cleaning liquid to get the flow going. It did NOT "clean out the drain pipe", it opened enough of an opening so IT could flow away. The water is now flowing through that passage, but when it closes again you will have the same problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks