Slow draining disposal, but 2nd sink drains fine

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Captain Commode, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Captain Commode

Captain Commode New Member

I noticed that I have to turn my disposal on to get it to drain if I leave the water on for any length of time. I've also noticed that my dishwasher is not doing as good a job, and both of these event started at the same time. The side-by-side second sink drains just fine, so I guess the problem is pretty much isolated to the disposal--yes? What is the likely problem and does it make sense that it is affecting my dishwasher? Thanks.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You could have something clogging the baffle tee, if the other bowl is draining fine.
    When a disposer gets old, it starts chopping things in larger pieces, which can become a problem. I change mine every eight years.

Have you refilled your Rinse-Aid for the dishwasher?

A slow draining disposer can back up into the dishwasher if there is no air-gap; if the dishwasher drains to the disposer.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. dj2

dj2 Member

Just to add to Terry's comments:

Depending on your particular set up, the disposer drain arm to the end T may be blocked too.
  4. Captain Commode

Okay, thanks guys. The disposal is at least 10 yrs. old, so I'll replace it and see. I'm betting that does it.

And, yes, the dishwasher drains into the disposal.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Depending on where the blockage is, and HOW you replace the disposer, (not a Disposal unlees it was made by GE or Westinghouse), you could still have the problem afterwards.
  6. Captain Commode

Hmm, "how" I replace the disposer. I've done it a couple of times and it was the same both times. I wasn't aware of alternative installations. Dishwasher goes into disposer; plug has to be removed from disposer or draining dishwasher water comes shooting out the sink (we laughed like crazy).
  7. Captain Commode

I replaced the disposer--all is right with the world. Thanks much for your help.