Slow Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

donstump1

Reaction score
I have a new install. Bathroom rectangular vessel sink without any stopper or overflow. Drain has approximately twenty 3/16" holes. It has a 14" drop to the trap and about 16" to the wall. All 1 1/4" with 2" ABS drain with a 2" vent in the wall cavity. All new construction. When you turn on the water slowly everything drains OK. If you turn on the water normally or quickly the sink fills about half way and then starts to drain, keeping the sink half full. It's almost like the drain needs to have the water pressure created by a half full sink to make the drain function. I have double checked the vent. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Don

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The strainer holes are to small...to test this get a straw that will fit through one of the holes...push it through one of the holes about 1" allowing the straw to stick up in the air with no kinks and turn on the water...the water should drain better...the holes are not allowing the water to flow right and air is being trapped between the grid and the trap and slowing the whole draining process...

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Had that type of problem more than once with the vessel type sinks without overflows, it seem that when they delete the overflow the drain dosn't get enough air, don't have a clue what you can do about it, sorry. :(

donstump1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I was trying to figure out what was happening. When the sink is half full and you wipe your fingers across the drain or even create some water movement the drain works well. It's almost as if all of the holes create a back pressure or force field that is difficult for a half full sink to overcome on it's own. I was never a science wiz so I'm probably lacking the knowledge to understand what is occurring.

Thanks,
Don

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A little soap will likely change the surface tension of the water (making it sort of 'wetter'), and it may drain. As said, you may want to just get a different strainer with larger holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks