Slope in pvc drains

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ehlinn, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ehlinn

ehlinn New Member

I have a general question about the maintaining the slope in pvc drains. I am running a length of "horizontal" drain to a vertical line and I will be making the connection with a T. But the t comes off the vertical at 90 degrees. How do I slope the horizontal run of pipe going from my drain to the T? Do I just force it to have the 1/4 inch per foot slope? Sorry if this is a little unclear, it is awkward to explain. I just don't want any leaks. Thanks for any help.

Eric
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Slope in PVC drain

You won't have to actually "force" the PVC to make the 1/4"/ft slope. PVC is flexible enough to conform to the trench.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tee

If you were using threaded pipe and fittings, the tee would be tapped so that the "pitch" is automatic. PVC and ABS fittings have enough flexibility that you can put the proper pitch, and a lot more if necessary, without affecting the integrity of the joint.
  4. ehlinn

ehlinn New Member

Thanks for the info.