Slip-on tub spout w/ diverter recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

jaXx

Reaction score
Greetings all,

My old generic slip-on/set-screw diverter tub spout has more or less begun failing at it's diversion.

I have a 2.5"-ish unthreaded copper pipe sticking out of the wall, with a nice big gob of silicone caulk where the pipe comes out, and things look pretty dry and clean. I'm having a tough time figuring out which spout to replace it with. (e.g. i saw Terry's recommendation for the Delta RP17453, but that's not a slip-on).

Is the Delta RP5836 (looks the same as the RP 17453, but is slip-on) my best bet? Sioux Chief SmartSpout?

This isn't a high-design bathroom, i just need a chrome spout to help my shower to work again :)

thanks!

jaXx

Reaction score
Or maybe the Moen 3931?

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

moen-tub-spout-installation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The Delta pull-down diverters are very functional. They block the water much more effectively than most. The downside is that you have to tell visitors how to operate it, unless you want them confused for a while.

Soldering on the adapter unit for the RP17454 or RP17453 is not a precision operation. Do remove the O-ring before applying heat.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It will depend on the shape of the copper you have.
The last replacement I tried the Moen first, but the copper was so dented that I couldn't get it to seal.
I then installed the Delta, which allows me to solder on their adapter, kind of takes care of bad copper, but you do need something to solder with on copper.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Delta RP17453

Last edited:

jaXx

Reaction score
Thanks for your input gentlemen!

Copper is actually in great shape, and thankfully the last installer didn't overdo it on the set screw.

Holding install method and price aside, is/are there any reason(s) to chose between the Moen and the Delta?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks