Slip joint reliability and ferncos

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

To expose my ignorance, what exactly is the difference between a schedule 40 trap and a tubular trap?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I would go with HJ's experience and know how. I think along the same line and I'll bet HJ is using 17 gauge and not 20 gauge p-traps.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you plumbing comes up from the bottom of the cabinet, then you will want either an "island vent" some call it a loop vent, or at least an AAV.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
Here are some pictures showing the installation I already completed of a new utility sink. The old concrete sink was cracked in half and leaking, and it was covered with paint that was flaking off in big pieces and helping to clog the drain. My wife complains about cleaning the paintbrushes in the kitchen. With a decent faucet down there I may actually be able to clean my paintbrushes at the utility sink:

oldsink.jpg

Here's the new sink with a closeup of the drain. You can count the slipjoints. There's a bunch:

utilitysink_top.jpg

utilitysink_bot.jpg

Since I was posting pictures I also included a picture of the kitchen sink that's up next for replacement. You can see that the existing installation is done entirely with sch 40 (except for the tailpieces) and has two traps. The drain line disappears into the floor and the bottom half shows how the pipes connect in the basement.

kitchen.jpg

Note that the presence of the window means there's not a lot of room down there.

TedL

Reaction score
Perhaps it's an optical illusion because of the angle, but the trap arm on the slop sink looks like it's going uphill.............

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Now that I like

seeing. A kitchen sink faucet instead of a laundry tub faucet.

Reason?

See that short piece of hose connected to the laundry tub spout? That right there is notorious for a potential cross-connection. (Below flood level rim) Just about every time I go to someone's house there is usually a hose connected to the spout hanging down in the bottom of the tub.

A small leak on either cold or hot and a reversal of flow and you have contaminates in your potable water system.

That faucet installed will never have a garden hose attached to it, the likelihood of it hanging down into the tub is less of a chance and there is a backflow device integrated into the faucet itself.

Good work daniel son. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I checked the trap arm with a level and it definitely slopes down hill (though I'm not sure if it slopes downhill by the proper amount).

The old utility sink faucet was unusable without the hose attached. With the hose it was barely usable. The odd thing is that I got advised by the guy at the plumbing supply store as well as by one plumbing book that it was impossible to install a kitchen faucet on a utility sink because the holes in the utility sink are supposedly in the wrong place. (My utility sink came with no holes predrilled so I could install whatever kind of faucet I wanted.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always use a kitchen sink on a laundry tray.

Two ways:

I get a single hole version, and use a soap dispenser for the second hole.
I get a single hole version, with side spray for the second hole.

It's much nicer for things like washing paint trays.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
adrianmariano said:

When you come to re-doing the kitchen sink, please make allowances for including a vent...
The current setup does not have one - It would not pass code....

R

Rancher

How close to the sink does the vent have to be? It appears that could be a vent on the C.I. pipe in the second, under the floor photo.

Rancher

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that branch for the kitchen stayed horizontal, the c.i. pipe going up could be a vent. Since the kitchen drain line goes vertical, that c.i. riser can't be a vent for the kitchen.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
WHY? Looks like it vents the kitchen sink to me... not dealing with an s-trap...whats the deal? I'd say it's not "ideal" but that it does vent that line.

Racer814

Reaction score
looks like an "S" trap to me

if the 90 was replaced by a tee and the vent took off from there it would be kosher......

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
yep, remove the 90 after the trap and install a T, Fem. Adp. an AAV and its alllll gooood.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I believe the requirement is that the connection to the vent pipe must be higher than the water level in the trap being vented. Since in this case the connection to the vent pipe is a couple feet below the trap, that requirement is not met by my installation, hence my installation does not qualify as vented.

I guess we've been lucky since we only rarely have noticed an unpleasant odor coming from the sink. My plan is to put in an AAV to fix it.

I am a bit puzzled, though, because it appears like the plumbing was actually designed wrong when the house was built in 1954, and everyone in the neighborhood will have the same problem. Did they not understand venting in 1954? (In principle the kitchen was inspected when it was remodeled 11 years ago, which would have been an opportunity to fix it. I know the electrical was inspected, but maybe not the plumbing? In my area they are very lax about permits and inspections.)

R

Rancher

adrianmariano said:
I am a bit puzzled, though, because it appears like the plumbing was actually designed wrong when the house was built in 1954, and everyone in the neighborhood will have the same problem. Did they not understand venting in 1954?
Since I was confused about what an "S" trap really was, I went and looked it up, and it answered my question, Randy's question and the plumbing code question... Here's the Link:

http://www.usinspect.com/plumbing/VentsTraps.asp

That pretty much says it all.

20_5.jpg

Rancher

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I've seen some talk about 17 gauge or 20 gauge P-traps. What does this gauge designation mean? Does it apply to the tubular plastic traps?

I have approximately a 15" separation between the drains on my double basin kitchen sink. Is it preferable to use a center outlet drain or an end outlet drain? (Mr. Cauldwell thinks the center outlet drains are less reliable. Is he wrong about this too?)

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The lower the number, the thicker the material.

I prefer to use an end outlet.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks