"slip fit" spigot with an interupt is leaking past the o-ring and into the wall

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by someguy, May 30, 2006.

1. someguy

someguy New Member

Hi all,

I'm having problems with a "slip fit" spigot with an interupt. The original started to leak past the o-ring when the shower was on and I figured it had dried out and/or cracked. I bought an exact replacement (Moen) and that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, after about 6 mos. the new one has started to leak as well. It doesn't happen every time. Only once and a while, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The water is seeping past the o-ring and following the pipe into the wall. (And down to the kitchen below :( )

Is there some way to increase the effectiveness of that o-ring? Should I caulk the ba-jezus out of where the pipe enters the wall? What's the "right" way to fix it?

Thanks,
    -Bill
  2. someguy

someguy New Member

Anyone?!?!?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the pipe is not perfectly round or has some nicks in it, it will leak. Overtightening the setscrew could do it, using the thing as a handle could bend the pipe as well. You might consider soldering on a male adapter, and buying a screw-on spout.
  4. someguy

someguy New Member

Cool, thanks for the info! The pipe does not appear bent to the naked eye. I'll throw calipers on it this weekend to make sure it isn't ovalized.

I don't think it's scratched or nicked either... Can I smooth it out with fine emery cloth or sand paper? If so, how fine would it need to be... or would that make things worse? Is there anything I can apply to the o-ring or pipe to help it seal?

I was wondering about converting it to a screw on stye. I'm reasonably intelligent and mechanically minded. I feel that I would have no problems converting it. All the same,
    is there a how-to on the web you could direct me to if I choose that route?

Thanks again guys,
    -Bill