Slight squish VS Big squish.

Users who are viewing this thread

mikez

Reaction score
Just had a remodel done, the new floor is perfectly flush with the toilet flange. Put new toilet on yesterday using a larger size wax ring (40%more) with rubber flange. When I set the toilet I didn't get a huge squish like I have gotten in the past, just a slight squish. No leaks no issues seems to be working well. But this is in an upstairs bathroom, and i'm a little nervous about it. Should I let it go, should I use a flange extender, should I use two wax rings?

Had to use a few shims mounting the toilet but it's rock solid.

Thanks for any help or advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "squish" is a "squish". A large squish just displaces more wax, but does NOT seal any better. I assume by "rubber flange" you mean you used one with the "plastic funnel" on the bottom. If so, I would be more worried about THAT causing a leak than the amount of squish you had.

mikez

Reaction score
Maybe a 1/2 extender and a regular wax ring? Or am I overthinking this and wasting my time?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depnding on the flange you have, the funnel in the wax ring can cause leaks or clogs if it gets collapsed or messed up because of interference with the ID of the flange or it is set off-center. If it fit well, and everything was nice an level, it probably is okay. Because both the toilet and the funnel are directing waste down the drain, it wouldn't likely leak unless the pipe became clogged. If it isn't sealed well, it could leak sewer gasses, though. If it gets squished too much, you can sometimes get a leak path along the plastic of the funnel since most of the wax could have been squished out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks