Slide in range swap out with free standing

Users who are viewing this thread

Augusta

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with swapping out a slide in cooking range with a free standing one? I wasn't sure how difficult/easy it would be to modify the cabinetry (typically) so that a free standing range would go in its place. Any ideas? The slide in's are just so dang expen$ive.

With kind regards.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You talking about a drop-in cooktop verses a 'standard' range?

A cooktop may just have a cabinet beneath it, and if you measure the opening, you may just have to remove the screws,cut the counter, and slide the cabinet out. You could finish the edges of the counter while it was out, then adjust and maybe add a connector for the new stove, and slide it in. It would likely be a little messier if it is a gas range or dual fuel.

IOW, it may not be that big of a deal...measure the cabinetry beneath what you have now to see if it is a standard size. They're usually 30", and go in 6" increments if you want something bigger and fancier.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A drop in or slide in will have a foundation under it. You can just knock that out. But double check the distance between the walls. Free standing are mainly 30, but you can get 24 or 36. Also check your countertop height to make sure a freestanding will not be too high or too low.

Augusta

Reaction score
Ahhh...you know what...I didn't think about the height. It's not going to look right sticking up higher than the counter. <sigh> Oh well...guess I'll bite the bullet on the $500.00 (drop in)..I said slide in but actually it's a drop in.

Is there ever anyone who is *not* experiencing unusually high volume? Sitting on infinite hold right now with Whirlpool for Model: RS6300XKN , Serial: M34051636 You'd think they would have either on their web site but...no such luck. Trying to get *exact* specs.

Thanks for the advice.

[EDIT]: After holding for 42 minutes 32 seconds: agent comes on, looks it up by model #, and says, "Sorry, we don't have any record of our appliances that are 20 years old or older." Thanks Whirlpool! That's awesome!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What kind of "specs" do you need for an old machine? Most companies do not provide such support for past models. Parts diagrams, possibly service manuals. But what "spec" do you need?

Augusta

Reaction score
I told the agent that the spec I needed was the dimensions. Then she Googled it and found the same stupid *unanswered* post that I did. For a second there I was wondering if she was going to find my post here :) And why would most companies not have at least the dimensions of their product which they designed, manufactured, and sold thousands if not hundreds of thousands of? (that's not directed at you...just towards Whirlpool) All products eventually need replacement. It would be wise to at least give the customer the dimensions so that they can easily order another. I even found a web site where I can order parts for that model - but no documented dimensions (the manufacturer web site should be primary point of contact for that.) Thing is, I can't see past the appliance lip on the right, left, or back to see where the counter ends and where the appliance begins. Without the dimensions, I can only guess, unless I pull the the whole thing out (it's a drop in).

With kind regards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks