Sleeving Pipe to Garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have utilities,

new natural gas, new water line, and new electric run to my garage 100ft away.

I'm having someone dig the 2 trenches. The city says I can put water supply and nat gas in the same trench and electric in it's own.

The water trench will be 4' for water and gas above that at 2' down.

The electric will be 2ft down in it's own trench seperated >12" away from the other.

I'm the type to want to run everything in conduit so if/when there is a failure the trench doesn't have to be redug.

I'm wondering what my conduit options are. For electric sch40 grey PVC and I wouldn't think of using anything else.

Since the gas and water are rated for direct bury it is my choice to use conduit and I am given the choice to use what I want. I have to follow some sealing & venting requirements for the nat gas line, but am flexible in what materials to use for those 2.

I was pricing PVC and it's about the same for SCH40 grey(electric) and SCH40white(Plumbing). If I use the electric however the ends are such so I don't require coupler fittings between the sections of 10' pipe. So that's what I'm leaning towards.

Then there is cheaper flex black drain pipe that is about 1/2 the cost and no fittings or joints needed. I could sleeve the water line in this to save some money. I think it is 4" so it would make snaking down the road easier(except for the ridges in the pipe).

What do you guys use. I come to the pros b/c they usually know the best way to run something for the most cost effective way.

Thanks
Rem

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The various types of drainage piping you see are typically not designed to be waterproof at the joints. Not necessary for drainage. The pipe is often PE, which can't be glued. Joints are taped for mechanical soundness, but you are just about guaranteed to get water in there.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. That was one of my concerns when I was looking at the flex stuff. Initially I saw 10' sticks then I saw the 100ft coil and thought that problem was addressed. Unless I could get from PointA to Point B with just the flex (unlikely), is there any other reason not to use that as sleeving?

Is there anything else that I don't know about?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
You asked what we would use, and my answer to that is that I use materials that DO NOT go bad, so I would never have to sleeve them.

Good point, I sometimes over engineer things. You're right about using good materials. I just figured it was cheap insurance and doesn't add that much work to the installation.

I am a huge fan of using "plastic" materials like PEX, Poly for their longevity and cost, however I just am wary of how easy it is for them to be damaged. I know the likelyhood of having someone damage them in my yard is probably non-existent, but having it protected by conduit just gives me a better feeling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

If they are installed to specifications, they will be below the point where they would be damaged by anything other than mechanical means, and those would damage any sleeve also.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I plan to install them per spec, but sometimes the regulations are just too minimum.

For example I am only required to bury the nat gas line 18" down and it can be yellow poly. Call me crazy but 18" down for a piece of plastic carrying gas is way too shallow.

Water line at 4' is safe from accidental damage but it is also 4' down. I figured it would be nice if/when the line has to be replaced, either me or someone else doesn't have to re-trench that distance. With all the manufactures churning our defective goods, who really knows the life expectancy of some of this stuff. Way too many with premature failures for my likes.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm having the trench dug on Friday for the utilities and plan to get the pipes in the ground over the weekend for inspection and back fill by monday

I'm having second thoughts on my choice for water supply piping. I'm going to run 1". I went to the supply house and the guy suggested I use black poly that comes in 100ft rolls, it is relatively cheap. He said that's what they use for wells. It's rated for direct bury. He said the 1" is the ID of the pipe.

I'm not running Copper due to costs, so that's out

I used pex in my whole house. Is that a better option for underground use? The price is not a huge difference from the poly, but it is a bit more expensive. Also I believe the 1" pex isn't the ID.

And going back to the original post topic, should I worry about sleeving this in conduit? If so can I use SCH40 Electrical conduit? I don't have to worry about couplings with those 10' sections or is SCH40 white PVC more suitable, and I just suck it up and connect the sections with couplings. (I was thinking 1.5" or 2" conduit)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks