Slab Is Not Level Around Flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ghatfuswow, May 17, 2012.

1. ghatfuswow

ghatfuswow New Member

I am encountering issues with a rocky toilet. After removing the toilet from the floor, I saw that the floor where the flange has been installed is not exactly level. What are my possible options? I've included pictures of my case below.

Top View
    Top view.jpg

Top View 2
    Top view 2.jpg

Front View
    Front view.jpg

Left View
    Left view.jpg

Right View
    Right view.jpg
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Neither the floor or the flange need to be perfectly level. Depending on what you are doing to finish the floor, the flange might need to be reset to keep it on top of the finished floor. A proper toilet installation includes first determining where the shims will need to be placed under the toilet so that it does not rock.

If you want to go all out, you could have the entire room poured with a self-leveling cement compound.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The brass flange should be secured to the floor.
    You may need to shim the bowl if the floor is uneven.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

As previously stated, the flange and floor do not have to be perfectly level. However, the flange should be on top of the finished floor and screwed through all of the flooring. So many times we get folks who have a recessed flange due to a remodel either an old one or the present one. This requires an extra thick wax ring and or extension rings to gain the extra height. I would suggest you remove this old flange, install the floor, then put a new flange in place. Your old flange appears quite serviceable, but I'd still replace it with a stainless steel model. Do not use PVC or ABS. Can you get by without doing all of this? Yes, but considering this is a one time installation, I'd go the extra mile.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Without wax, set the toilet over the flange to make sure it isn't rocking ON the flange. If it doesn't rock ON the flange, but is rocking because the floor isn't flat, then while it's sitting there, determine where shims need to go, pull the toilet back up, install the new wax ring, and set the toilet down to a now stable position because of the shims.
  6. ghatfuswow

ghatfuswow New Member

Thanks guys.