Sizing a pipe from pump to house 250 feet apart

Users who are viewing this thread

abeljda

Reaction score
I have an existing pump that is pulling water from a cistren and its been here for the 30 years I have been here. I put a new pump in last year, its a 30/50 shallow well, 1 1/4 in, 1 inch out and the line is 1 1/4 to the house then it reduces again back down to 1 inch and on to the fixtures. Line is broke again and I am replacing the line from the pump to the house and wonder if I can go with 1 inch all the way since that is what is out of the pump and not loose any "performance" in the house. We have the shower upstairs and it works but it is always a point of contention with the female members of the house as to the lack of pressure up there. I think if I reduce that line to 1 inch all the way we might notice a bit of a difference, any insight would be appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
See the top calculator at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hazen-williams-water-d_797.html For simplicity, you can leave the c - design coefficient at the default, or you can change it for better accuracy. You will see that the flow rate is important. 10 GPM might be a reasonable number to use in your planning.

The amount of acceptable pressure drop will include which end of the pipe and pressure gauge is on, as well as how much pressure the pump can produce.

You could go with ASTM D2239 SIDR poly pipe. That pipe is often used in well work. It is larger inside than the same nominal diameter of PEX. http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/onesheets/PureCore_one-page-slick_v1.pdf has dimensions. It is usually connected to other plumbing with barbed fittings and two worm-gear clamps on each end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks