Size of neoprene gasket on CI drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by TJanak, Nov 4, 2011.

1. TJanak

TJanak New Member

I have a washing machine drain that exits the side of the slab as cast iron. There is a neoprene gasket with a female threaded adapter into the gasket. The gasket is a Ty Seal 2 SV. Does this mean this is 2" CI pipe or a 2" hub? The OD of the CI around the gasket was about 3.5". Honestly the pipe ID looks like 1.5" and I was hoping it was 2" since I need to do some repairs and all new work needs to be 2" from what I've read.

What's interesting is the washer standpipe is 1.5" galvanized leaded into what appears to be 2" CI above the slab. The CI was ~2.3" OD so I figured that was 2".

The female threads at the oustide of the house slab had a 1.5" thread to barb fitting with 1.5" poly pipe.

Thanks! DSCN3309.jpg
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Drain pipe is typically measured ID, so a 2" pipe should measure 2" on the ID. Wall thickness is fairly consistent with plastics, but not as much with CI. So a 2" pipe is normally around 2.5" OD or so, give or take a little.
  3. TJanak

TJanak New Member

Jim, I can't measure the inside of the pipe where it exits the slab so I'm trying to determine its ID based on the neoprene gasket saying Ty Seal 2 SV. The pipe is full of crud so it's hard to guess the ID. Probably need to get it cleaned/augered.

After looking around, is there even such a thing as 1.5" CI or would it have to be 2"?

After looking some more, looks like a threaded ferrule for 2" CI pipe would have a 1.5" tap size. Which is what I have.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

It's 2" SV cast iron. There is no 1 1/2 CI
  5. TJanak

TJanak New Member

Thanks Tom.

Can I pry out the threaded ferrule or do I need to cut it to get it out? The threads are pretty much gone so I was going to put 2" pvc into the Ty seal.
  6. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Tom there is 1 1/2 Cast Iron, but in No -Hub, there is no service weight 1 1/2" cast iron though.