Site for Sale

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness Forum' started by Cookie, Feb 24, 2013.

1. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

It is good to help people.

You know the site will not be the same if you don't keep and run it.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society may be a good business partner.

Good luck.
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Yeah, it is. I am no Mother Teresa, but, I try. The site doesn't feel like my own anymore, anyways.
    Doing my sons's taxes today. Really complicated one. But, I did it last year, and the year before, so, I can do it this year, too. I am thinking of doing taxes for... ( don't laugh) H$R Block. They offered. Want me do your taxes Don? lol

I enjoy challenges. Come to think of it, I was told by my dad, that I was headstrong. Don't know where he got that from, lol. but, I try my best to help others on my site, the real people on my site, who write me comments, to be more determined, and not throw in the towel before the battle even begins. Like I tell them, the result if they are determined just might surprise you, you might be successful.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Hey Cookie,
    Just curious how that site worked out for you in terms of ad revenue...
    It looks like it grew quite a bit in the last couple of years...
  4. Cookie

Cookie .

Hi Red! Yes, it has been holding its own, not bad. It is kind of funny Red, because, no matter what I write, I could put a ... dot... on a page, and, I get readers, and, it is nice when they check out the ads. Some of those ads are great, really, because of the subject matter, they advertise some really good places for those with an illness of that kind to check out for help. Most are not junk ads, you will see an occassional odd one, but, most are great for those who are there out of need for infomation about Lymphoma. I think, they help people. That is not my only site, I got one that is doing really well, exceeds this one. It is fun at times.

This is kind of funny and kind of sad, Red. I get spammers, and sometimes, it gets annoying. I also, get alot of comments, which most people because of the nature of the site, cancer, ask me to keep them private, they are usually, asking me things, about treatments, etc. Well, one comment came from a spammer. He told me he was a spammer, and, showed me the spam, etc, and, then, he apologized! He then, asked for help with information about Lymphoma. Well, it was kind of funny because here is a spammer reading all the posts, stopped spamming, and started asking for my help with somethings. Now, I have a hard time, blocking the spammers, lol. because, I stop and, think, what if, there is another person like him? So, unless, they become a real nuisance, I just keep deleting the spam comments, which at times, can be time-consuming, but, just what if... there is someone out there like that one man. I wouldn't want to block him.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Try this Conditional CAPTCHA for WordPress it will get rid of the spambots but humans will be able to answer the question and get by.
    Use it in conjunction with Akismet.
    Most of your site visitors won't ever see it...

Now tell me about your big site...
    Give me some stats! And is it paying well?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. Cookie

Cookie .

I will look into that Red. I am not so sure that anyone makes enough of money from their site to say it is paying well, :) Even Terry would probably agree to that and he has a huge site with lots of traffic. I don't think anyone gets rich these days, BUT, I do believe that waaaay back when, when, it all started, getting a dot.com back then, probably could and did for lots of folks, I just don't think, those days are here anymore. Kind of sad, but, true, don't you think. What I get from it all, is more along the lines of personal satisfaction and enrichment. I really do like to help someone else. I feel saddled all-the-time with my illness, I hate it, I wish I didn't have it, and, I wish no one else did either. So, if I can give a tip of info or to say, I did that and this is my experience with that or this, it gives me something, too, rather than just take. Sites dealing with illness is so different I think, than anyother site, because either the reader is sick and dealing with cancer, or a loved one. It is a horse of a different color Red. Everyone wants to save money and fix something broken in their house, they will attempt to fix a broken pipe but, to fix cancer is not DIY'er job. And, anything, anykind of help someone can get, before or during or after treatment is a plus. I have been there and been there and been there, 5 times over. I am no pro just an ole' hat at it with tons of experience in dealing with it. Thankfully, I must be doing something right.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It was quite a bit lower than the actual stats and revenue for my site as well...
    Maybe it was accurate when the site was 3-4 months old...
    But way off the mark now...

I'm not selling mine either... But If I had yours I'd burn mine! LOL
    Your site is a monster and you are the Big Kahuna of Plumbing Websites...
  8. Cookie

Cookie .

It is good to see you back Red, you have been missed! I think you have a pretty good site, too Red. Terry's is a forum which is great, but, I bet it is very very time consuming to say the least. And, expensive...
  9. DonL

That site is just one that can be used.

You can get better stats on the IP closer to your provider.

Terry does very good.

He be the Man for sure.

Thanks Terry.

Happy Green Beer day.
  10. Cookie

Cookie .

What I don't understand, is why anyone would look up what someone is making or looking up someone's stats. If anyone is really interested in buying a site, it to me, would be like buying a house, talk to the owner privately, or the agency, even then, most things will remain private & can't be disclosed. I pay extra to keep my checks & balances private.
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh I have full stats and I do know exactly what they are.
    I see them everyday.
    Most of these sites that "Value" a website are way off the mark....
    I sometimes look at them when I see one, but have yet to see one that is remotely accurate in traffic or, revenue...
    Laughable at best by what I see. That site had my site's revenue at a level I achieve in an hour or less not a month...

Simply said selling a site would be like selling a business where you would open the books to a prospective buyer...
    I like the way FaceBook opened it's books on their IPO... ROFLMAO
    For some reason I missed buying into that one...
    Who could have seen that fleecing coming?:D
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

Disclosures on RE... you need to disclose termite and other infestation, etc, you cannot hide things like water damage physically, etc, there are things you need to disclose, yes, but, maybe it is state to state but, something a seller is not required to disclose, at least not in my state, ie reason for selling, it is buyers beware, do your homework and get a home inspector who can see; etc, commercial again, different disclosures. I don't think, many people Red, want to make their finances an open book. At least not the people I worked with, the buyers had a hard time getting past they needed to disclose to "me" their earnings, etc, lol. I was not being nebby, I told them, just doing my job. I had to sign in blood I would not disclose it anyone but those I listed on the paperwork, and, I simply, don't have alot of that red stuff to spare, lol.

I don't have facebook. Never did. Never will. :)
  13. DonL

Facebook is getting to be a PITA.

Site data is traceable but you have to be a member to get a good count.

The new scam now that I see is someone will make a large offer for a site that you own with no intent to buy. They actually want to sell you another one.

I told one of them to give me the Money, Never heard back.

Google maps has old data also.

The use of robots to get website hits up are the norm for many websites that are for sale, mostly in a auction, to help drive the price up.
  14. DonL

15. DonL

You have to go with the flow to reach the Top , In the eyes of the Public.

You need to FB & Tweet too be cool. So says the new Pope.