Sioux Chief shower drain gasket?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by alweiland, Apr 6, 2014.

1. alweiland

alweiland New Member

I have a leak from my shower drain that appears to be going around the gasket and over the 2" pvc pipe. This is a stand up shower with a Sioux Chief brass drain. I removed the drain grill (snap in) and the locking ring. There is a gasket that sits over the pvc pipe that seems weird, maybe squished in on one side and I believe if I replace that gasket, it should solve the leak. I am guessing and am very 'green' at plumbing fixes but am willing to try. :) What is the best way to remove and replace that gasket? I have tried to grab it with a needle nose pliers, flat edged screwdriver, etc.. but am being cautious as I don't want to damage the PVC pipe. Any suggestions? Thank you!
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Cut the old one out maybe with a small exacto blade. They are tough to remove....

Perhaps you could melt the ring into pieces with a hot paper clip???

Good luck.

Have you found a replacement O Ring? Might get that before you remove what you have now....
  3. alweiland

alweiland New Member

I haven't. I was hoping to remove the old one intact to bring with me in finding a replacement. Should probably start looking around for one first. Thanks.