Sink won't run unless toilet is flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

colonelcorn76

Reaction score
Okay, here's the problem, not sure if it belongs here or in the Toilet section. So here goes -- just had the bathroom redone with new fixtures, piping, etc. Now the sink stops making water when the faucet is turned on at seeming random intervals. However, if after this happens we flush the toilet, and then go back to the sink, turning the faucet on results in water coming out. Sometimes though, flushing the toilet doesn't help and it's several hours before the sink works again.

My guess is something along the lines of an air lock or vacuum situation but then again, maybe it's gremlins in the wall.

Help?
Jim

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I once had a valve that was installed backwards (had an arrow indicating direction of flow) and sometimes it would stop water when it was open. If the pressure gradually increased it'd usually flow. Sudden pressure change, closed. Flipped it right way and it worked just fine. I didn't investigate it furthur but it surprised me. Maybe you have a similiar situation?

I'd call the contractor who did your bathroom and ask him to get his plumber out!

Good luck. You've got my curiousity.

Thx
Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

IF this is a British system, I can see it happening, but if American there is no logical way for it to occur if everything was installed properly. Call the plumber.

colonelcorn76

Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
I'd call the contractor who did your bathroom and ask him to get his plumber out!

Yeah, they denied it was occurring. Cleaned out the screen in the faucet and said that was it. Demonstrated the faucet worked fine. Then packed up. Still in the driveway when the it didn't work again. Dragged him back inside protesting that this could not be a problem. Showed him it didn't work. Said it was "operator error"...pointed out he was operating it this time. Made him flush the toilet. Watched as he tried the sink and water gushed out.

He still refuses to believe there's a real problem. We're trying to get him to do something but I think it's going to end up in the wall & he knows it and doesn't want to have to get in there and then patch it all back up at his expense.

<sigh>

Finnegan

Reaction score
The plumber seriously turned on the faucet, no water came out and he said it was something that you were doing incorrectly? If that really happened I think you have a lawsuit in your future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks