Sink without overflow drains very slooooow!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Endwrench

Reaction score
Hi,
so I bought what I thought was a very good deal at my local Home Depot to replace a vanity in my bathroom as we were doing a complete remodel.
Install went as planned, but over time, we discovered that this sink started draining slow. I tried plunging it out and this
did seem to help, but over a short time it had gotten slow again. Recently after looking this thing over closely and considering
the venting and all, I found that this sink does not have a vent line to the drain spout as the previous one did.
I've considered adding an air admittance valve, but I don't know if this is the best option or not and if this will meet code. I think what I am going to do
is just replace this with a vented sink and be done with it, mainly because the Armstrong flooring we out down is starting to
turn colors and now I have to pull the vanity and replace the flooring, oh what fun.......

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions.

endwrench

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you talking about a vessel sink? If so they do drain slowly but if you plunged it and it got better, then that is a separate issue.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lav basin without the overflow can drain very slowly unless it has the special drain for that purpose. They now advertise one for just that purpose. Some have a pop-up drain that goes higher, and some have a domed grid with larger spaces.
In the past, the overflow, which allowed air to get sucked past, that entered back again just below the stopper making the needed difference. I would try the new drain first.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF we are referring to the same item, you mean an overflow opening in the sink and that is an entirely different situation than "no vent" and an admittance valve would be completely useless.

Endwrench

Reaction score
Thanks, I apologize for the confusion of terms, I may have misled. I guess you would say that the old lavatory had an overflow, but this apparently
was enough to let the air in so it drained quicker. Just for fun I put a straw into the drain one day and it did help, so it seems to be more of a vacuum
issue than anything else at this point. Otherwise it drains fine. I think that the plunging just cleared the pipe of any debris and momentarily helped the flow.
With the slowness of the drain, it probably cause more gunk to stick to the pipes instead of rinsing it through.

Terry, I'll do a search for the newer style of drain and see what that will net me. Thanks

endwrench

Endwrench

Reaction score
I think that the reason for the drain getting better after I plunge is because it temporarily pushes the water out of the trap, so it is clear to refill again. The line should be fairly clear, it's only been in use for a couple of years.

Endwrench

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of drain is in the sink? If it is the strainer type with small holes, air gets trapped inside between the strainer and the water in the p-trap. That bubble of air traps the water in the sink, so it drains very slowly. A different type of drain may allow air to escape faster and allow the water to drain out faster.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/552100/...p-Drain-contemporary-bathroom-sinks-charlotte
Valve to let the trapped air out
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1100324329325.html?18

Endwrench

Reaction score
Hi All,
just wanted to post back and let you know that I did find a reasonable solution to this problem. I had gone out to Home Depot and purchase a new pop-up drain, this was a real nice chrome plated brass one. When I went to do the install, I was noting the way this operated. This one has a cable connected to a rotating gear apparatus that connects to the downspout and plug. I adjusted the gear so that it can make the drain go as high as it can and it seems to work pretty good now. It comes up so that it will create a vacuum spout when the basin is full and it draws the water down pretty fast now. When there is a small amount of water, it still will slow it down some, but really not too long. I can live with this.

Endwrench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks