Sink Size and Quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Rrmathome

Reaction score
I am ready to install a pedestal sink and toilet into a small basement bathroom.

Both fixtures will go on the same wall, which is 53 inches long.

I am debating over a regular pedestal or a corner one. I prefer NOT a corner, but I think I am tight on space.

The toilet is roughed in at 14" from the side wall (12" from the back). So, a an 18" wide tank will give me 5" from the side wall, then 18" for the tank. That leaves me with 30" for my sink and whatever room is needed on each side.

I figure I can put it 3" inches from the wall. But, most pedestal sinks are over 20" that doesnt leave much room between sink and toilet--about 8 inches or so.

Is that enough? Or should I go with the corner pedestal.

I am trying to use both sink and toilet from same manufacturer (American Standard) so that the white matches.

But American Standard's smallest pedestal is 21" wide.

I have also found this sink online which is only 16": http://www.signaturehardware.com/fa...id=GooglePLA&gclid=CKP2ysbR-MMCFXBp7Aod2WkA2g

But not sure if this unknown (to me) brand can be trusted.

Can I get some input as to fixture spacing, sink size/type, and thoughts on this sink?

Thanks.

Rrmathome

Reaction score
Before you consider a corner sink, you have to KNOW how you will connect the drain line.

Ok. Not really sure how to respond to this. I'll be using PVC glue, run the pipe through the sheetrock, run along the wall and connect to the waste line with PVC glue again.

Rrmathome

Reaction score
Ok. Not really sure how to respond to this. I'll be using PVC glue, run the pipe through the sheetrock, run along the wall and connect to the waste line with PVC glue again.

So, can I/should I install a corner pedestal? Or is a tight fitting non-corner pedestal usually a better choice?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind the code limitations that require 15" either side of a toilet centerline with no obstructions...with it set at 14", you already have a problem some inspectors will not bless, regardless of the rest of it!

Pedestal sinks are very fussy about exact placement of both the drain, trap, and supply lines if you want it to look good and function well. YOu cannot make assumptions or take 'normal' on those placements...you need to know exactly what you have to install for best results.

Rrmathome

Reaction score
Keep in mind the code limitations that require 15" either side of a toilet centerline with no obstructions...with it set at 14", you already have a problem some inspectors will not bless, regardless of the rest of it!

Pedestal sinks are very fussy about exact placement of both the drain, trap, and supply lines if you want it to look good and function well. YOu cannot make assumptions or take 'normal' on those placements...you need to know exactly what you have to install for best results.

Yes, I know I am a bit close to the code with the 14". It's a pretty tight spot so my concern was less with code (this is not being inspected) and more with placement of the fixtures.

In hindsight, I could have gone 15" or 16" from the wall an it would have been fine, but not much I can do about that now. If in the future I need to get it inspected for whatever reason I will worry about it then. I could move the wall back an inch or two if I had to.

In any case, I am basically wondering if I would be better off with :
  • a regular pedestal--which would be about 7 or so inches from the toilet to its right and about 3 from the wall on its left.
  • a small pedestal (16") such as the link provided in the OP--even though I am unsure of the brand and whether the whites will match. This would give a bit more room--maybe 11" from the toilet.
  • corner pedestal
I'm not concerned, either, with the placement of drain, trap, and supply lines as I will buy the fixture and then install after I know everything will need to be.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not concerned, either, with the placement of drain, trap, and supply lines as I will buy the fixture and then install after I know everything will need to be.

So you have yet to run the drain and vent lines in the wall, so that you can locate those behind the pedestal-- wherever the pedestal turns out to be??

Rrmathome

Reaction score
So you have yet to run the drain and vent lines in the wall, so that you can locate those behind the pedestal-- wherever the pedestal turns out to be??

Correct. I've just hung the sheetrock with a couple of screws. I'll need to remove it to add some supports for the sink as well--I'm assuming.

Just not sure which sink to get.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's hard to see why anyone would choose a pedestal lav in a very small bathroom. They waste a great deal of space that
could be put to use with a small cabinet or a stand with shelving, etc. Pedestal sinks can also be a royal PITA to
install, and to work on afterwards.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's hard to see why anyone would choose a pedestal lav in a very small bathroom. They waste a great deal of space that
could be put to use with a small cabinet or a stand with shelving, etc. Pedestal sinks can also be a royal PITA to
install, and to work on afterwards.

Pedestal lavs. No plumber likes installing them.
And yes, all the plumbing is visible, and no storage to be had. Not what I would advise a homeowner to choose.

I would go with a small cabinet that sets up against a wall.

Toilets should be 15" from center to the next item. Or 30"
It doesn't really matter show small a tank is, it's about fitting your arms in there.

taylor_tight_space.jpg

No room for the paper but higher up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen I remodeled my mother's bathroom, I ended up with a wall-hung sink because a cabinet in there would have been either too big for the area, or the bowl would have had to be miniscule. A pedestal would have also seemed somewhat out of space, and with the placement of the toilet, it might have impacted the area where your feet would have been if you stretched out a bit. The medicine cabinet does not have the door on it yet or the internal mirrors uncovered.
DSC_0131.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks