Sink Shut-offs, Just a couple basic questions, see picture

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkinMich

Reaction score
I'm moving a sink cabinet over about 3 inches (yeah, I know it's crazy but I don't like how incredibly close the sink is to the side wall).

The incoming plumbing lines (hot, cold, and drain) are NOT moving.

I need to remove the shut-offs to slide the cabinet out. I've attached a picture of the shut-offs because I can't find this type at Home Depot or Lowes. Do they unscrew from the copper pipe? Or are they a press-fit? Are they reusable or will I need to buy new ones? Should I replace these shut-offs with the common 1/4 turn type? Any other advice while I'm at it?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• CIMG0964.jpg
    CIMG0964.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 682

4th gen

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.swiftplumb.com
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
When from the bathroom there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the restroom I flew like a flash, tore open cabinet and threw out my back.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature leak soaking down through the floor, and a puddle eight feet round, gave me a roar.
With a little curse word, mumbled under my breath,
I knew in a moment it must be ..... a cheap angle stop!

Sleep better.. get new angle stops!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
When from the bathroom there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the restroom I flew like a flash, tore open cabinet and threw out my back.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature leak soaking down through the floor, and a puddle eight feet round, gave me a roar.
With a little curse word, mumbled under my breath,
I knew in a moment it must be ..... a cheap angle stop!

Sleep better.. get new angle stops!

Brought a tear to my eye :D

MarkinMich

Reaction score
4th gen,

... a timely holiday response, but you answered only one of my questions. Can you help me with the rest of my questions? I'm just a diy'er, but very mechanically inclined. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could also cut a square out of the back of the cabinet, and then just pull the cabinet out.

Or, you can cut behind the stops, and reinstall new 1/4 turns after the cabinet is moved back.

What you have, I can't figure out how to remove those either.
They push on, but I don't see how to pull them off.

MarkinMich

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I'll probably cut out the back of the cabinet as you mentioned. However, if I did cut behind the stops, wouldn't I lose the threads that the new 1/4 turns need to thread onto.

BTW, I just noticed in the picture that the hot & cold pipes look white, but that's just some paint overspray. They really are copper pipes.

Finally, based on some of the comments, these must be really cheap shut-offs. To close the valve, one pulls out (toward oneself) the round handle. And obviously, to open the valve, one pushes the round handle toward the back of the cabinet.

These shut-offs were installed by the builder (new construction, summer 2000) and I haven't had any problems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If they are copper, you can use compression shutoffs.

This is the right time to change them,

You will have to cut the back of the cabinet regardless if you're moving it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll need to clean the paint off to install compression stops. If you really want pipe threaded ones, you'd have to solder on a threaded coupling, but if you were going to do that, you might as well solder on a valve instead.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

There are no threads. To get those stops off, first you try pulling them while twisting them back and forth. IF that does not work, then you have to cut the plastic apart and then "tear" the toothed metal washer inside off the copper. Use new compression connection valves for replacements. For the drain, break the opening big enough to let the coupling slide through it, and then make a big enough hole for it in the new cabinet.

MarkinMich

Reaction score
All, thank you so much. I'm learning a lot.

How did we get thru life without forum websites?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sites

How did we get thru life without forum websites?

YOU called a local plumber instead of one two thousand miles away. But then, I would not want to make a service call there, because I moved away from Michigan to get rid of the snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks