Sink faucet installation help

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Gary Swart, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I am in the process of installing a new CI drop in kitchen sink. I have the sink set in place just fine, but the faucet is giving me a real problem. It is a Delta 419 series and the problem is getting the 2 plastic nuts that hold the unit in place tight. There are very nice wings on the nuts, but they thread on a plastic tube that is about 4" long and recessed between the sink and the back of the cabinet. I got them hand tight without too much problem, but I can not figure out how to tighten them further. I have tried channel lock pliers but there is not room to get a grip on the nuts. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get these things tight? Special tool perhaps?:confused:
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Thanks for the tip. After I posted my question, I began to brainstorm. I came up with something very similar to the tool on Amazon. I took a 12" piece of 1-1/2 ABS and cut 4 notches just wide enough for the wings on the nuts. Then I drill 3 holes on the other end for the handle of my screw driver. I ain't real purty, but the dang thing worked.:D If I was in the business, I'd fashion one from a piece of steel pipe and make the notches a little neater, but for a one time use, that ABS pipe did the trick. Thanks for your help. If nothing else, it proved that I was on the right track.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tool

If you were in the business, you would either buy the Ridgid tool, because it does a lot more than just tighten those nuts, or you would make it out of a piece of copper tubing because then it would be lighter and easier to manage.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

HJ, I understand and agree completely with what you say. But, at 6 PM I used what I had available. It sure isn't a professional tool by any stretch, but it served the one time purpose. I could see by the photo of the Ridged tool it is a multi use tool, but I just needed to tighten 2 nuts, and I wanted them tightened ASAP.:D
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tool

I understand, but was merely replying to your comment. A pair of regular or long needle nosed pliers, not Channellocks, would usually work also.