Sink drain to main DWV connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Shinshi, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Shinshi

Shinshi New Member

I am moving some DWV piping in the basement prior to developing.

The main DWV pipe in this first picture needs to be moved to the other side of the main beam and connected to the sink drain shown in the second picture.

The last picture is how I think the two should be connected maintaining a cleanout access point.

Does this layout look acceptable?

Is there a better way that anyone can suggest?

Attached Files:

2. Shinshi

Shinshi New Member

I also need to divert the main stack on the basement wall. It is show in the first picture here. I need to move it over to run up to the other side of the beam.

My plan is to cut it off and divert it with a joint like I have shown in the second pic.

I don't see any problems doing this, but as this is my first major plumbing DIY job, I thought I'd check for advice in these forums first.

Does anyone see this change being a problem?

The base of the main stack is easily accessible at this time as I am also moving the in floor rough-in. So, I could break up a little more concrete and tie in the main stack to the DWV pipe in the floor and avoid any elbows at all.

Is is necessary to do this extra work, or would the first method be perfectly acceptable?

Attached Files:

3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You can't use a low heel inlet tee like that. that fitting needs to be a wye.
  4. Shinshi

Shinshi New Member

OK. Thanks.

Back to the drawing board...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Somewhat confusing. If the drain on one side of the beam is parallel to the one on the other side, there had to be a reason the two were not combined originally. And, if I am reading this correctly, why isn't the "new" drain just connected directly to that 3" line without the rigamarole of heel inlet bends and inline test/cleanout tees? As for the basement, don'f forget your backwater valve inthe new piping.
  6. Shinshi

Shinshi New Member

I don't know why the two drains weren't tied in together in the first place. The reason I was looking at using an elbow with a heel inlet was because I have another 3" pipe connection from above.

I decided there were too many things I did not know and could not easily find out about plumbing code, so decided to get some help. A friend's father-in-law is a retired master plumber and for a fee, he is going to come give me a hand.

Thanks for replies!