Sink drain question - long vs short 90

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
can I run a short 90 from horizontal to vertical followed possibly immediately by a long 90 from vertical to horizontal. Can one of those be a street 90?

In a 2x4 wall, trying to solve two issues.

1. the current outlet is too low for my pedestal without getting a new longer chrome plated tail
2. don't want the PVC sticking out of the wall.

i-mgXJ6Vj-M.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
The short one in the picture is part of a p-trap I am not using, just what I had handy to try and illustrate what I am trying to do

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is guaranteed to smell up your bathroom.
The p-trap will siphon and you will have a horrible smell in your bathroom . I was on a job Thursday where someone had plumbed it like that in the wall. The husband was complaining of the horrible smell and the sound of the trap siphoning, making it's odd gluck, gluck sounds as the water seal pulls itself out of the trap. I will be going back next week and adding an AAV to prevent the trap from siphoning

A vent for a p-trap in on the top of the trap arm, not below. When you bend it downward, you create an S trap that siphons the trap seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
the current outlet is too low for my pedestal without getting a new longer chrome plated tail
Why not get the longer tailpiece or tailpiece extension?

short_drain.jpg

photo added by admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because that looks awful, no offense.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm talking about the picture of the "before" and "after"...

What do you prefer? plumbing that "looks good" but functions badly OR plumbing that functions well and "look bad"?

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
No doubt the second picture looks great, compared to the first. And I would have no issues with that setup if it was in a cabinet and not exposed in a pedestal sink configuration such as my case.

If you read my original post my two goals were trying to avoid purchasing a longer tail and to have no pvc coming out into visible space.

I have to cut the 2" drain anyway to it out of the way of a recessed medicine cabinet anyway so athat this point it's probably just as easy to cut it a bit lower, add a new tee at he height I need and not mess with any weird configurations and extensions. I had a feeling my idea above didn't seem right which is why I asked here in the first place :). So, thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you read my original post my two goals were trying to avoid purchasing a longer tail and to have no pvc coming out into visible space.
I did not interpret it that way. I did read "pedestal".
6eec2e7c82aafc79ff7338407f57d00e.jpg

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Also, as is the case with many things in this house, the current setup isn't even right, with the horizontal transition not being a long 90. It has to be, right?

Reach4

Reaction score
the current outlet is too low for my pedestal
I wondered. I wondered what too low for your pedestal meant since a pedestal goes all of the way to the floor. Terry's picture on #6 is not what I envisioned either. I think he was being funny. Behind a normal pedestal, a tailpiece extension would be hidden.
Also, as is the case with many things in this house, the current setup isn't even right, with the horizontal transition not being a long 90. It has to be, right?
The transition from horizontal to vertical out of a trap would be a sanitary tee. That is where the vent hooks in.

The trap adapter can be covered with a chrome box escutcheon. The photo on #11 would have been improved with a better escutcheon. While you are doing this, you probably want chrome lines carrying water up to the faucet. You could use chrome flex lines as in the picture below, but classic chrome plated brass tubing would be even better.

sotc-lavatory-supply-kit-p0162c.jpg

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I meant the horizontal from the end of the trap to the horizontal 1 1/2 PVC leading up the tee. In the current setup isn't not a long.

I am just trying to follow the Kohler's rough-in specs which says the drain is 13 13/16" from the top of the sink. I am sure I won't get it within the 16th since the floors is not finished but I'd like to be close.

I guess thats true, the actual tail would run inside the pedestal support...hmmm

I wondered. I wondered what too low for your pedestal meant since a pedestal goes all of the way to the floor. Terry's picture on #6 is not what I envisioned either. I think he was being funny. Behind a normal pedestal, a tailpiece extension would be hidden.

The transition from horizontal to vertical out of a trap would be a sanitary tee. That is where the vent hooks in.

The trap adapter can be covered with a chrome box escutcheon. The photo on #11 would have been improved with a better escutcheon. While you are doing this, you probably want chrome lines carrying water up to the faucet. You could use chrome flex lines as in the picture below, but classic chrome plated brass tubing would be even better.

sotc-lavatory-supply-kit-p0162c.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of bend is needed for your "dirty arm".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A trap arm can use a medium 90 at the wall. They make a spigot trap adapter that leaves just the nut exposed beyond the wall. A Box flange hides that.

If you have a brass drain, they make threaded chrome tail pieces that are long and can be cut to size. It's a much cleaner look than the extension pictured above. Which by the way is hidden in a cabinet, and not exposed.

If you can replumb while the wall is open, that is always nice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks