Sink Drain Nut

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Eddie_T, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Eddie_T

Eddie_T New Member

I have a triple basin Elkay Cuisine Decor stainless steel sink which uses a thin zink nut to hold the cup assy (my terminology) and drain to each basin. The first nut failure was on the left (most used) basin. I have been unable to find nuts locally (Ace and Lowe's). I tried a 1.5" conduit lock nut but it didn't have enough threads and will jump a thread after a while apparently due to expansion with hot water in the basin. The nut can only be about 1/4" thick as the remote controlled drain has to thread onto the tailpiece below it. I tried making a nut by grinding the crown off a plastic slip joint nut but its hard to cinch it tight enough to compress the rubber gasket between the cup assy and the basin. A second nut (on the center basin) has now broken so I would like to replace all three. I don't see them online and if available postage would probably surpass the price of the nuts.

Any suggestions, or any nuts from another discipline that might work? Brass would be nice but I can't find
    1.5" brass nuts either.
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

3. Eddie_T

Eddie_T New Member

Thanks for the links.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That type of drain typically has a "T" nut with a "sleeve" that goes through the drain's "bucket". The drain usually has a "rolled thread" which does not engage regular threads very well. The "sleeve" allows the nut to have additional threads without taking up space between the drain and the operator.