Sink drain "leaded in"

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by toyman, Oct 8, 2004.

1. toyman

toyman New Member

We are remodeling the bathroom. The sink needs to have the drain replaced. Problem is the old pipe was leaded in and has no threads. The drain goes into a 4 way pipe union that runs to the roof and basement so it would not be easy to replace. Since I cannot re-lead or there isn't any pipe threads any suggestions as to how to get my sink drain hooked up again?
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Harry may Say..

hj and his traditional ways may say you can just solder in another brass trap to the lead. Is your wall fitting tee all lead? If not you can replace the lead with plastic. Eventually all the lead will probably have to be replaced. A temporary repair is to try to cut the brass flat and use a compression coupling.
    hj, I have decided that I am not going to try to resolder a twisted delta valve even if it is below your standards.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Is it soldered to a piece of lead pipe, or more likely, is it soldered into a brass piece. If the latter, then you cut that brass piece out and screw a nipple and a "trap adapter", (they go by many different names depending on what part of the country you live in), and then connect the trap the common way.
  4. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

I beat hj

hj, I just noticed that I have become a Senior Member (over 100 posts?) while you're still just a Member. Does that mean I'm a big mouth :p ? A month ago we were Junior Members. Terry promotes fast.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Maybe "Senior" means you are getting older. I received an upgrade when they put my old "name" under the wrench.