Sink drain does not line up with wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Moby

Reaction score
Well, I am no plumber... I took out the ugly PVC trap under my wall-hung sink thinking to replace with chrome. The sink and wall tile are from 1955 and the pipe in the wall is 1 1/4". I am quite certain that this sink is original and that the pipe has always come out of the same hole in the wall, but the PVC trap obviously was not. It was 1 1/2" pipe, but as it was going into 1 1/4", I figured I should replace it with an 1 1/4" trap. The problem is that while the 1 1/2" trap was wide enough to reach the wall, the 1 1/4" is not. Yet surely the original piping must have been 1 1/4", so what am I missing?

Moby

Reaction score
photo-14.JPG

The sink is too far to the left, or maybe the drainpipe is too far to the right.

Has anyone used a Freedom Arm?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Humor aside, as it were, take a look at some of the handicap lavatory drain parts. You should be able to swing the drain around enough to get things properly connected. Might look like hell, though.

Moby

Reaction score
The Freedom Arm should look okay and I think it will fit.
It looks like this:
images.jpeg
, in case anyone is not familiar with it. It comes in three sizes/degrees and in left or right bend versions.
Unfortunately, it looks like I probably cannot get it locally, so I would have to order it from plumbsource.net or plumbingsupply.com, meaning a delay and risk of it not fitting, adding even more delay. Plus, if my local plumbing supply places do not stock it, maybe there is a reason, although the primary reason seems to be that they have never heard of it, which seems kind of weird, because it looks like an obvious solution to a common problem.

Anyway, I bought a chrome 1 1/2" J-bend and will now see whether it works to use that with reducing washers at both ends or maybe I will end up cutting a bigger hole in the tile and replacing the drain pipe inside the wall with 1 1/2", but I still don't get what the original trap must have been, since it probably was not a Freedom Arm, which surely did not exist back in 1955, and it surely was 1 1/4", so how the heck did it line up before?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Lav sinks were commonly plumbed with 1-1/4 traps, and replacements are readily available. Maybe it is just the angle of the photo, but it looks to me like the rough-in was done with intention of the sink being over to the right a couple of inches. Not every brand of trap is exactly the same distance from inlet to outlet, so if you son't want to move the sink, more shopping might be in order.

Moby

Reaction score
Yes, it does look like the sink is in the wrong place. However, the tile and sink are both original, so it isn't in a different place than it ever was. The tiled-in soap dish and toothbrush holder are centered over the sink also.

Maybe it did have a wider 1 1/4" trap before, that does seem like the only possible explanation.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could have used something like this:
img_3.jpg

However this is a poorly faked picture.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks