Sink Defect (Kohler Pennington) - I Should Have Checked It First

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
Bought a Kohler Pennington drop-in 20" x 17" oval sink and should have inspected it more carefully before setting it with calk.

The defect is at the bottom of the drain where the big rubber washer seals the drain. The chip/defect is too deep to allow the rubber to form a seal.

I only checked for leaks at the supply lines before setting the sink with calk. It didn't occur to me I'd have a drain issue. By that time, I already set the sink with GE silicone. I really don't want to pull it out and redo the whole job.

I thought of 2 options; 1) use some GE silicone sealant to fill the gap, tighten the seal then let it cure before testing it. 2) Use a softer rubber seal that could mold itself into the gap.

I'd appreciate any professional suggestions on what to do (other than return it and start again - unless you think it's really the only wise option).

Here are way too many images (hoping one of them does a good job showing the problem).

5YGEqiA.jpg

BfJE5v3.jpg

2opAoLe.jpg

SA0Fcep.jpg

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I got surprised by one of those one time. Been a while, but I think I used the smash-together plumber's epoxy, off the rack at HD. Dries quickly and you can test it for leaks pretty quickly. I totally trust the silicone to get the job done, but there's drying time to consider.

Geobrick

Reaction score
I would be inclined to take a file and emory cloth to that.
And yes, the Silicone would most likely fix it.

Thanks Terry. It seems to be working fine with the smoothing and silicone fix.

The next time I need to replace an oval sink, maybe I should try the Toto LT511. I can't tell from the photos if the Toto has a raised rim along the edge. I like the raised rim of the Kohler Pennington because it helps keep splashed water inside the sink instead of letting it run off onto the counter.

The reason I wanted to replace the sink in the first place was because I realized (after living in my house for 15 years) that they installed 16" x"19" oval sinks in 16" x 19" cutouts (in every bathroom). The sinks are barely big enough to fit the cutout hole. I only noticed when the calk on one of the sinks shrunk and cracked allowing water to leak into the cabinet. I decided to pull the sink to clean it all up before resealing and noticed how big the opening was compared to the size of the sink. That's when I realized a 17" x 20" sink would fit without any additional cuts (and they were probably what the original plan called for). The Pennington fit right in without any mods to the opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks