Sink and Toilet dry for 2 years...advice on install please.

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Chris in Calgary, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chris in Calgary

Chris in Calgary New Member

I have been admittedly a bit A.D.D in my renovation....the King of Project Starters so to speak.
    My master bathroom was the first thing I demolished, but is, alas, the last room to see completion.

The toilet and sink were removed (and openings covered) 2 years ago, and I am going to finish things up this week. I'm wondering if there are any special precautions I need to take in reinstalling the toilet and sink plumbing given the time that has passed since water flowed through the pipes.

I know that I should open the windows and wear a respirator to avoid breathing the sewer gasses...but anything else I should know about?

Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

No,
    You are thinking way too much though.
    If you look outside at the roof of your home, you will see pipes sticking through.
    Those are vents.
    Most of the sewer gas will go out through those.
    You haven't been saving up gas all this time.

Just, Get er done!
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The seals in the toilet may have deteriorated so you may wan tto have a new flapper valve and maybe the valve gasket available to replace it, and it is a good idea to buy a new supply flex line for the toilet. If the shutoff valves aren't being replaced, the washers may or may not have problems...sometimes it's easier to just replace them. Use the 1/4-turn valves if you do decide to replace them.

But, all that being said, everything will probably work fine...
  4. Chris in Calgary

Chris in Calgary New Member

I'm replacing all the old seals, gaskets etc, so that's not an issue.
    I was just wondering if I needed to do anything special to get the water flowing properly again once I "get 'er done".:)
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I probably wouldn't drink any from the sink until you'd run a couple gallons through, but other than that...nothing I can think of. That would include brushing your teeth in the water.
  6. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Two years! I thought I was bad with two months. You truely are king.

All bow before you.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I'll see your two years and raise you two... I like to say I'm 4 years into a one-year project.