single vanity sink to dual

Users who are viewing this thread

bsla11

Reaction score
Hello all,

I looking for advise on plumbing dual sinks for a bathroom vanity. This is a second floor bathroom with 1.5 inch wet vent pipe and 2" vent pipe. Existing wall is load bearing so I plan on framing a additional wall in front of the existing one for plumbing and build in medicine cabinets.
I picked up a few plumbing books from the library and learned what I should't be doing but looking for advice for my particular situation. From what I have seen it's advisable to have the wet vent pipe between the sinks and install a double wye. That isn't the case in my situation.

I included a picture of where the new sinks will be installed. They will be 45" on Center apart.

I know I can't run both sinks off the existing p-trap because they are to far apart.

Good advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• possible dual vanity.jpg
    possible dual vanity.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 692

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2" vent for the downstairs bath remains a vent. If you frame a wall in front, you can run from the left pipe over to the right of the vent. That line will be closer to the floor. Use a long turn 90 and a santee for the second lav, and continuing up, 90 back over and connect to the vent, which I'm guessing was installed at 42" from the floor.

You should have 2" if you are using two lavs, but you don't have that. You will have to make do with the 1.5" that you have.

You also have the option of opening the floor and running the line over to the second lav in the flooring system.

Or you can open the floor and put the vent to the right of the new lav. Then you wouldn't need to build out the wall.

See how fun this is? Lot's of ways to do this.

Last edited:

bsla11

Reaction score
OK so tap into the Wet pipe vent just below the existing connection.

Thanks for the very quick reply!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

I don't know what you mean by a wet pipe vent in the previous answer.

A vent normally is the dry pipe above the trap arm for the p-trap.

The "waste" below that handles water.

Therefore "waste" and "vents".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Offset the downstairs vent so it goes around the right hand location, and then you can install the two sinks properly, but do NOT use a "double Y" OR a "sanitary cross". Both are "illegal" for your situation.

bsla11

Reaction score
Appreciate the input.

Terry, I should have said wet pipe and not wet pipe vent.

This is what I'm thinking of doing.

possible dual vanity v2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks