Single vanity floor to double vanity wall

Users who are viewing this thread

PDN

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I've read a lot on this forum and figured this would be the place to ask. I'm an experienced DIYer and fully expect a healthy dose if criticism but here goes...

I'm renovating a bathroom and my wife picked a double vanity with legs to replace the previous single vanity with an apron. I've opened up the wall and the floor to see what I need to do. I considered boxing in the plumbing below the vanity to cover the plumbing which currently comes in from the floor. I've rethought that and in the interest of doing things right have decided to run the plumbing in the wall (non-load bearing) and split it in the wall before coming out behind both sinks where the holes in the vanity are. I've marked the rough in areas in the picture. Initially when I opened the wall I was confused what the 1.5 inch copper pipes were that are capped off in the wall. My house was built in 1966 and all the original drains and vents are copper. It finally occurred to me that in 1990, they renovated the kitchen directly below, including the ceiling. They must have taken the opportunity to reroute the drain pipes in the bathrooms upstairs (they are back to back) and run ABS drain pipes through the bathroom floors. I believe that rather than tear out the vanities and walls, they simply capped the wall drain pipes in both bathrooms. You can see both in the picture. I have a few questions:

1) Can anyone think of a different reason for those capped pipes to be there? I can't access the whole run without cutting out a lot more wall. I plan to cap them inside of the wall to make more room for the new plumbing.
2) Assuming they are abandoned drain pipes, is there a flammability/explosion hazard from sewer gazes (septic system) when I cut them and solder a cap on? I can use an air compressor to blow out the pipe to be on the safe side.
3) Is there a special consideration I haven't thought of with splitting the supply lines? I planned to run copper all the way to the wall stub outs, then compression shut offs and SS braided lines to the sinks.
4) I can't think of the technical term for the ABS fitting I would use to split the drain line, but I intended to use a long sweep double wye without the cleanout and the a P trap under each sink. Am I missing a future problem with siphoning? No issues currently.

Sorry for all the questions. I think I have a solid game plan, but I'm looking for you guys to poke holes in it to be on the safe side. Thanks!
20151018_132252.jpg
20151018_132237.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks