Single to double vanity - Illinois (a new version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Savedsol

Reaction score
I'm also converting a single to double vanity in Illinois (I can hear the groans :)). My situation is bit different, we had a right hand sink and after opening the wall all of the plumbing is coming off the right side so I can't use Terry's famous diagram. I'm not too worried about the water supply it's tapping into that giant stack! How do you add another Wye into that?

single_to_double_lav.jpg

Much help is appreciated. Unrelated but based on everyone's recommendation, I've ordered a Toto Drake II for the ladies of my house. I'm hoping it can flush Coke cans!

(in the pic below I just illustrated the Hot/Cold and where the copper terminates)

Attachments

• Vanity.jpg
    Vanity.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,245
Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Is both bowls going to be in the same room, and are they both going to be to the left of the stack? Or is one going to be left and the other right of the stack?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Also another note, since you are doing more than a simple repair, you should get a permit from your town/city, and while there you can ask the plumbing inspector the acceptable way to plumb in a double vanity.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
This would be the proper way to plumb a double vanity, sorry about the crude drawings but I hope you see that there is a revent and both lines tie into the revent bar. The way I drawn will meet the letter of the plumbing code and no inspector would fail it.

Vanity.jpg

Savedsol

Reaction score
Thank you SewerRatz. The sink on the right will stay on the right where the current plumbing is for feed/return. The left sink will go approx where you've drawn it. The only thing I'd point out is the 1 1/2" PVC Wye is just proud of the the 2x4 which I imagined would make for trouble T'ing off of it as you've drawn. I'll try to grab a pic and post it shortly. But I'm guessing you're pic is removing/replacing/repositioning the current Wye.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You have that correct, it is removing the current fitting lowering it a little and installing a second wye upside down above the spill level of the sinks for the revent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks