Single or 3 sped Cir. Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburke65

Reaction score
Hi guys! Rookie here. I'm finally got a plumber to pipe up my Argo electric boiler for my 1800 sq. ft. shop. 6 300' loops, single zone. He suggested a 3 speed circulating pump and my question is what determines a single vs a 3 speed pump? Thanks for any info....and I hope I put this in the proper catagory.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Ah, hydronic design by hackery- gotta love it! :)

If you don't know the flow requirements of the system, how are you even going to specify which 3-speed?

Seriously, calculate the pumping head of your system at ~4 gpm, and size the pump accordingly. It'll be enough, and probably not too much. If the system had a fossil-burner boiler and you were concerned about conserving pumping power use it would be worth doing the analysis on it, but since the power used by the pump heats up the place as efficiently as the electric boiler, there's no point to optimizing the pump efficiency- it just has to get 'r done, with out over-pumping to the point that it erodes the boiler or plumbing.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I don't think Argo boilers have an outdoor reset option (or do they?) It would be nice if they did but...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks