Single Mom No Clue! C'mon boys help me I am broke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Okay to start off I am a single mother of two living in Lincoln,NE;) Anyways.......I have this terrible problem. This morning nothing was wrong with my back basement. No water was ran and I find this!

Drain1.jpg
Drain2.jpg

What is going on? I borrowed a snake from my neighbor but he said it looks like something caught in the drain. My father (who lives in North Dakota:( said not to run any water what so ever. I am picking up the water with a cup.......trying to stick it into a backet but plunging isn't working. What should I do? Is there anything I can do.....these are the thingie magiggies I am using. BARF! The water stinks! The tubes are connected to my Water Softener and I think this thing.......

Drain3.jpgDrain4.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dear lady, I realize there's a money problem, but a clogged drain is not something that a homeowner, even a macho manly man, should try to deal with. Snakes come in different sizes, and the ones that are large enough to properly clear a clogged drain are usually not even available to the general public and, even if they were, require an experienced operator. They are powerful and dangerous machines that are capable of taking fingers, and hands off. (No joke) Most forum users recommend a full service plumber rather than one that has "Rooter" as part of the company name. My suggestion would be to discuss your financial situation with the plumber before hiring him. Perhaps he can give you a bit of time to pay the bill. I feel for you, I've had my sewer backup twice in the past 30 years or so. Fortunately, the problem was caused by a grease build up in the city sewer, so the city stood the clean-up bill as well as fixing the cause.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can use a wet vac, that would help to clean up the water.
Like your father said, until you get this fixed, make sure nobody runs water down the drains.

I remember one story where a toilet had overflowed in the basement, water was cleaned up and then they took a shower upstairs.
It must have been a long shower, because afterwards the carpets were all wet with sewage downstairs.

Reaction score
Ouch....well I cleaned up the water. I was told it could be debris from trees. I called a Plumber and likely its something in the Main Drain. I guess I will have to find a new boyfriend for the Week:|

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I guess I will have to find a new boyfriend for the Week:|

Try to find on who has an "industrial strength" snake and knows how to use it. Maybe you could build a harem with guys who have different talents.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quote; I guess I will have to find a new boyfriend for the Week:|

Try to find on who has an "industrial strength" snake and knows how to use it. Maybe you could build a harem with guys who have different talents.
That's funny. I had a feeling the conversation was heading that way.

Fixitright

Reaction score
Many years ago as a young apprentice our teacher told of a single woman who needed a great deal
of work done to her house. The contractor while working indulged in many "lunchtime delights"
with her. When it was time to present the bill she exclaimed, it will be a freebee and if there is
a problem I will discuss it with your wife.

This was a lesson to both warn us about being professional and not to do side jobs.

I wonder how many versions of this story are out there?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Then there was the plumber I worked with. He finished the job, then had lunch and a long conversation with the lady. When he was done, he presented her with a bill for his time on the job, INCLUDING lunch and the conversation.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Then there was the plumber I worked with. He finished the job, then had lunch and a long conversation with the lady. When he was done, he presented her with a bill for his time on the job, INCLUDING lunch and the conversation.
Could it be he was flamboyant or she was very plain? (Trying to be polically correct here)

Reaction score
Love it! Bringing humor to an otherwise dark and smelly industry is what its all about. I suggest finding someone who actually knows what they are doing, and aren't just looking to hang out with you so much that they "fabricate" their knowledge of plumbing. You will wind up being very sorry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks