Single handle faucet jackhammer and flow problems

Users who are viewing this thread

klopper22

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a few problems with my kitchen faucet. The sprayer is fine though.

Problem One
The kitchen faucet is an American Standard single handle model. When it is first turned on with the aerator in it jackhammers. The problem worsens the higher the flow gets. With the aerator out, it doesn't jackhammer at all. I would rather have the aerator installed since it can save water. Would a higher flow aerator be the solution?

Problem Two
At low flow, gravity seems to cause the faucet handle to drop down and shut off the water without any intervention by us. This problem is really bad if using cold water after hot especially with the aerator in. The problem disappears with high flow. I was thinking that when going from hot to cold water, the cartridge has expanded from the heat and therefore is "loose" inside with cold water making the handle drop.

Are there any adjustments I can make without buying a cartridge?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks