Single-Handle Faucet - Are Inlets Interconnected?

Users who are viewing this thread

leak_chaser

Reaction score
I have an old Delta single-handle faucet that I want to use for cold water only. There will be no hot water line connected to the faucet.

Will the water come out of the hot inlet when the faucet is on?
Will the water come out of the hot inlet when the faucet is off?

What is the best way to plug the hot water inlet?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the model, it may not work. If it has a pressure balance function, and that is working, NO water will come out when only one supply is present. What you could do is run the cold to both the hot and cold sides of the valve - then, the pressure would be equal, and any of those valves will work. If it is already plumbed with hot and cold, and you just want to turn off the hot, it should be easy to check.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Only tub/shower valves are pressure balanced, but unless you cap the hot side it WILL leak water unless the handle is ALWAYS to the cold (only) side.

leak_chaser

Reaction score
Only tub/shower valves are pressure balanced, but unless you cap the hot side it WILL leak water unless the handle is ALWAYS to the cold (only) side.
What would be a cheap and reliable way to cap?
The ideas I have so far:
  • A supply line followed by a ball valve service stop. Expensive.
  • A faucet to pex adapter followed by a short length of pex with a plug on the end. The faucet to pex adapter is plastic - not reliable.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you are talking about a sink faucet or a shower faucet.
For a sink faucet you could add a tee to the cold side and connect both the hot and cold hoses to it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...pression-Brass-T-Fitting-CT2-666X-P/202495893

What are you trying to cap? The pipes coming out of the wall or the hot side of the faucet?
Either way something like this should get the job done:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/compression-to-tube-adaptors-3-8-inches/924468
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/brass-compression-cap-less-insert-1-4-inches/924525

leak_chaser

Reaction score
It is a sink faucet and I want to cap the hot water inlet on the faucet, because there is no pipe connecting to it. I was hoping for something simple like a cap, but I am not sure if there is one available for this purpose.

leak_chaser

Reaction score
It is just a regular faucet connection - 1/2 inch male straight threads, brass. I tried a 1/2 inch cap with pipe threads and that did not go on. Any idea what sort of a cap I need? I would think it would have to be something with rubber on the inside to make a seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks