Simple solution for new kitchen island... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Oafed

Reaction score
Adding a small island to the kitchen. Here are my current plans for running the electric through the concrete slab (for 2 outlets on the island). The slab isn't post tension or anything. Please provide your thoughts? I will be doing this in the next week or so.

-Cut a 2" deep V channel in the slab (about 4 feet long) with a circular saw
-Put in a 1/2" rigid steel conduit with elbows at the ends to bring it out
-Paint on some concrete bond coating / glue and fill V channel with concrete patching mortar

This will allow about ~1" cover over the rigid steel conduit. I know PVC has a 2" cover requirement, but I do not believe this is true for rigid steel conduit? I just don't want to cut a huge channel all the way through the slab just to run 4 feet of conduit to the island. I also don't want to mess with jets.

Will my idea work? :p

TJanak

Reaction score
That's what did, except I probably only had 1/2" of cover.

And if you are at all concerned about dust have a helper use a low pressure water hose and a shop vac at the circular saw. The water stays off of the saw motor and just don't stand in it either. Worked great for me.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Run a isolated circuit if you can.
Don't know how you plan to use the island, but presume the counter is fill, and someone walks the mixer over to the island.

I've got 4 dedicated outlets and sometimes I wish I had more....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks