Simple shower rough-in question

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hello,

I have kohler thermostatic valve that I have roughed in, and I think all seems well, but wanted to check to what folks here think, before I cover it up and start tiling.

Please let me know if you see anything awry with my installation..thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I'm not a pro, it looks pretty good to me. One thing to double-check is to verify that the depth is good for whatever finished wall you are putting up. There is probably a plastic plaster guard for the valve to protect it from crud while you finish the wall. It also has marks on it for min/max projection. Personally, I prefer the valve to be back in the wall so it projects close to the minimum. Some people don't like the look of the valve's trim sticking way out if you are at the other extreme. If it is too far out, you can't do anything except tear the wall up and move it back. If it ends up too deep, you can get extension kits, so it is important to watch those limits.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the plastic guard got busted off...but I think it is positioned correctly...I will be drywalling over the valve, then kerdi over the drywall and finally about a 1/4" tile...so roughly 3/4" plus the witdth of kerdi and thinset.

So, the cock-eyed cold supply doesn't bother you if it doesn't leak?

thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipes can go anywhich way in the wall...it's the valve's position that matters so the trim lines up. Once it's covered up, who cares (as long as it doesn't leak).

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That is a shower nipple right¿ (a male adapter, sweated onto a length of copper pipe that's been capped)

I see your concern with the crooked pipe. Probably should've used a couple 45's way down low on the cold riser.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Yes that is the show nipple capped off.

Thanks for all the replies...here is another related question.

When I sweated the suppy lines...I used a brass threaded adapter into which I sweated the copper pipe.

Not realizing how much would be needed, I didn't remove the guts of the valve and after looking at a couple other threads here am concerned I may have damaged somthing.

What could be damaged and could I tell? If I hook up a garden hose and run the valve and if it tests ok, would that be enough? If damaged, what would be the result?

thanks again!

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Yes that is the show nipple capped off.

Thanks for all the replies...here is another related question.

When I sweated the suppy lines...I used a brass threaded adapter into which I sweated the copper pipe.

Not realizing how much would be needed, I didn't remove the guts of the valve and after looking at a couple other threads here am concerned I may have damaged somthing.

What could be damaged and could I tell? If I hook up a garden hose and run the valve and if it tests ok, would that be enough? If damaged, what would be the result?

thanks again!

That's exactly why I used compression fittings and showered with the back of the wall opened for several weeks prior to putting a small cabinet in.

If I were in your position I would turn on your supplies and hook up the hose, run it out the window and let it rip for a good spell. Better to find out now while it's easy to work on.

HE

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies!

I did just that...hooked up a garden hose...this is thermostatic valve with separate pressure and temp controls.

I ran for quite a bit and everything seems ok.

Only strange thing is while the water was running, I was adjusting the temp mix to warmer...to do this, you pull out the detent ring and turn CCW, when doing this, I noticed a drop or two of water when I pulled the detent ring out, but quit when released to the normal position (it is spring loaded).

Would this be normal on kohler valve like this?

thanks...I may also call kohler to see what they say.

thanks again, great forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks