Simple Shallow Well Question (but beyond me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brewmaestro

Reaction score
Here are the specs:

Hand-driven sandpoint, 1.25" galvanized pipe 27' deep, aquifer at around 21', 3/4 hp jet pump. Put into service early this spring.

The system seemed to work okay, though it had a rather meagre output of around 5.5 GPM (posted about that here: https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...Air-(well-not-me-my-well)&p=298107#post298107). But since I plumbed it into the house's sillcocks and started using it to irrigate the garden, it's begun hesitating. Here's what happens: you turn on the water and get plenty of flow till the pump kicks on, then the output drops to zero. The pump continues to run but sounds different, then after a period of time the flow resumes and would pump all day if I let it. The period of no flow has been increasing--at first it was just a little bloop in the flow; now it stops for a minute or more.

What's likely to be my problem and what can I do about it? Thanks much for any help.

Brewmaestro

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It sounds like your jet may be plugged, or you are over pumping the well.

I lot of pumps have a easy way to clear blockage.

What model pump do you have ?

DonL

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I do not think that is a jet pump, and Maximum suction height: 26 feet.

You may be on the limit of what your well can produce, and what the pump can lift.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks