Simple security system install

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Giles, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

I have a large barn with lean-to. I would like to install a motion detector inside the barn and one also in the lean-to. I would like to have these two sensors feeding a special light fixture along with a loud 120v 6" bell. I know that I can use separate light fixtures but I only have one security bell.
    They will both be powered from the same breaker circuit. My question is if I wire both sensors to the single light and bell, will the current running back into the other sensor from the activated sensor cause damage? Would I need to install diodes or other electrical device?
    Safety is of great concern.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. jamiedolan

jamiedolan New Member

By 2 3 way motion sensors for $17 each at Lowes or *******. I believe the brand they carry is rated for non-lighting loads, but double check the package to make sure it is ok to install something other than just a light and that you are in the correct amp/watt range for the motion sensor.

Not sure if any of these are exposed to weather, if they are then you need to have a weather proof sensor, and not the standard wall sensor I am refering to.

Jamie
  3. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

House electricity (120V) is AC or alternating current. Diodes would not work with AC, just DC for blocking. You could however use a relay or "contactor".

Note that security system devices are not rated to be used with 120V AC. Most of these are designed to be used with 6 or 12 volts DC.

And security system motion detectors are quite different from motion detectors used for outside lighting.

Security system motion detectors are designed to not give false alarms. Some use a dual technology infra red and microwave detection and both must detect movement before an alarm is sounded. Just one or the other has a long history of false alarms. (But with both, almost false alarm free.) And these are designed for 6 or 12 volts DC.

The outside light motion detectors which are designed for 120V AC are only infra-red technology and cheaply made. These would be prone to false alarms.

Also a security system "control panel" would sense a detector going off, then ring a low voltage bell/siren (6 or 12 volts dc) for a set amount of time like 10 minutes, then turn itself off and reset the alarm.

If using an outside light motion detector, the bell would ring for the amount of time the light was set to be turned on.

For more information about security systems, click on the following for forums where you can ask questions...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=security system forum&btnG=Google Search&aq=f&oq=
  4. jennifer8055

jennifer8055 New Member

alarm systems comparison

Hi,
    If you're looking for a home security system you should check out http://usalarmcompanies.info . They give you a free complete comparison of the various home alarm system providers in the US and you can choose one based on the size of your home, your requirements etc.
  5. John Kern

John Kern Guest

Hi There,

You can also pay a visit to Hulk Security Systems to explore a wide range of home security systems ranging from Intercom to CCTV to Alarms and many more. The best thing is that they not only provide you with the best security devices but also assist you with the installation, to ensure that the devices actually caters to your Security requirements.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  6. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Will the sensor know the difference between someone wanting to take something and a wild critter looking for a meal?
    Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night because some stray dog wondered by not to mention the complaints from those in ear shot of that darn bell.
    There is much better ways of protecting your home than sensors to activate a bell.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF they both use the same supply source and you wire them EXACTLY the same, then it will be no different than having two parallel switches on the same circuit. Either one will turn it on or off, but they will be independent of each other unlike a 3 way circuit.
  8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The question was posted by Giles, Jan 8, 2009. The thread got resurrected by a spammer in 2014.
    DonL likes this.
  9. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

And too top it off no eggs to go with it.