Simple garden hose sprinkler on Well pump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob Boutin

Reaction score
Hello! I have been searching the forums for an answer for my dilemma for a while. I haven't been able to find a thread that answers it, but please forward me to one if it does exist. Now onto the issue...

I have recently moved into a new home and completely redid the front lawn, as it was a barren disaster before. It's a little over a half an acre of front lawn. I grew everything from scratch, seed/stray. It has come in nicely. During this time though I noticed during the daily watering (during germination) that my well pump would cycle on for several seconds and then off for about 45 seconds. Now I try to give it a good watering once a week, but this short cycling on the pump really has me worried. I know its bad for the pump and I've been trying to find a way to fix it. I do not have a sprinkler system, nor do I plan on installing one. I have been using a simple garden hose with a sprinkler on the end of it. I'm just looking for a way to make it so my pump will not short cycle. Would there be such a way? Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Clearly with your pump turning on for less than 10 seconds each time, you have a problem.

In addition to other measures, consider drawing more water at the same time. Drive more sprinklers and bigger sprinklers.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks Smooky! Rob I am sorry you couldn't find a thread on this subject. Since it is discussed on many many threads, it just goes to show how confusing the issue is to most people. The CSV will keep the pump from cycling as long as you are using more than 1 GPM. Like Reach is saying, the more water you run at one time the more efficient your pump system is. But you can only run so much from one garden hose, so the CSV will stop the cycling even with just one sprinkler running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks