Sillcock with odd connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gregnoob, Dec 17, 2013.

1. gregnoob

gregnoob New Member

Good morning everyone,

I've got a sillcock that is leaking like crazy. This started as a really slow drip and is now a steady stream. Trouble is that this house still has polybutylene piping which I have not got around to replacing and I've never worked with polybutylene before.

I have no clue how these connections work and this one looks odd anyway. Can anyone tell me what is going on here connection-wise and how I can replace this without buying any special poly-b tools? I cannot find a shut-off for this spigot so I need to replace it ASAP. My initial plan had been to just cut the copper just behind the spigot and solder a new spigot on but I am afraid that the heat will melt the plastic piping.

Photos below:

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

You either need special tools or a shark-bite fitting
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That's a frostfree silcock, and if you can identify the brand, you might be able to buy a rebuild kit for it. I'm surprised there's that much excess in the wall so that you can pull it out that far.
  4. gregnoob

gregnoob New Member

I didn't know about shark-bite fittings. That looks like it would do the trick.

Any tips on cutting the poly cleanly?
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

sharp utility knife
  6. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

I don't think sharkbites are recommended for poly-b...???? I've only ever seen advertised for copper, pex and cpvc..
  7. jm66208

jm66208 New Member

I'd turn the water off & try to take the silcock apart. You might just need a $2.00 washer. If not, either buy the proper tools, or call a plumber.