Sillcock blues. . .

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Wryter, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Wryter

Wryter New Member

Got new quarter-turn sillcocks for the outside of my house - I "thought"the old ones had female threads screwed onto male brass threads on a fitting that was soldered to 1/2"copper pipe.
    But - on closer inspection, I see that the old hose bibbs are actually MALE threaded, and the 1/2"copper is sweated INSIDE the male threads.
    BIG SIGH HERE.

My question: (please - no hard flying objects) Can I take a hacksaw and cut off the old bibb so that the male brass threads remain on the copper pipe - then just screw the new sillcocks onto those male threads?

Or do I have to buy all new ones and sweat them onto the copper pipe after un-soldering the old sillcocks? I know this sounds weird, but I'm just enough of a numb-brain so that I get in a LOT of trouble!

Thanks, and be patient, please. . .
  2. wallyworld

wallyworld New Member

no, that won't work. Just solder the new ones and don't burn your house down;)
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Those theads are tapered and they're tapered in the wrong direction for you to use...
  4. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

I'm corn-fused by your text that I've bolded. I would expect there to be a copper fitting on the rough-in to be 1/2" sweat x 1/2" female thread. What am I missing?
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

He is saying the VALVE itself is 1/2"male threads, with the inside machine 1/2" CTS and in his case, it was soldered on. If he cut the valve on the outboard end of the threads, he would have a threaded male end, but as mentioned...the taper would be backwards!
  6. Wryter

Wryter New Member

Trying to 'splain

OK - here's the build-up. Coming out of the concrete wall is a 1/2"copper pipe - sticks out about two inches. I thought there were threads ON the copper pipe, but no.
    There's a hose bibb with a Male threaded connection going into the house supply. INSIDE this connection, the copper pipe is soldered in. Never saw anything like it.
    To remove the sillcock/hose bibb I've gotta put a torch on the end of the sillcock that's soldered over the 1/2"copper pipe, and work it loose. Then I can add another sillcock.
    My dilemma is that I've got two new 1/2"sillcocks with Female threads on the side that goes into the house supply. SIGH.

Guess I've either got to clean up the old sillcocks or get rid of my new ones and get some that have 1/2"female solder connections?

Man, this has got me freaked!
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Or, sweat an adapter on the pipe...
    Next thing you'll discover is the sillcocks you bought are a different length than what you had...
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  8. Wryter

Wryter New Member

Diff-runt strokes

Sillcocks aren't larger - just different. And you're right - I've gotta get an adapter, sweat it on the pipe, then thread on the sillcock. It will only stick out maybe another half inch or so. I think. . .(sometimes)

But hey - this job is easy compared to the Moen inserts I've gotta pry out of two showers! The last time I tried that I broke one puller and had the water shut off for six hours before I could get the danged thing out! Try explaining that to "the little woman." Yeah, sure. . . .(sigh) I've replaced all the faucets in the house with Delta or American Standard - the showers are the only "problems" I've gotta face. Moen has been very kind in helping - but I'd still never buy their products again. Too much hassle!
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

With the right tools, which many plumbers have, I can remove ANY Moen stem in a matter of minutes. But since it could require any of four different pullers, or a combination of them, it is much more difficult for a DIYer to do it.
  10. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

At least you have 2" to work with, and concrete which won't burn when you solder on the right adapter.

I hear you there, friend. I've had that exact experience in two houses that I've owned.