Silicone or plumbers putty?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by joeriley2005, Dec 10, 2011.

1. joeriley2005

joeriley2005 New Member

I'm installing my new drain kit to my new shower pan and the instructions say to put silicone between the drain and the pan. I've always used plumbers putty but I should I use silicone in this case since the instructions call it out?

What do the plumbers prefer?

thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I've been using Silicone.
    Putty can dry out over time, and then the drain will be loose.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

For that application, I use silicone, but be sure NOT to get it on the strainer's threads, because it could keep it from tightening properly. Plumber's putty often begins to leak and usually it is difficult to get to the nut to loosen it and reset the drain.
  4. Belmondo

Belmondo New Member

So where do you guys still use putty? I've used it for seating stainless drop in sinks, as per directions, but I think I saw a plumber on a home improvement show use silicone there too. What about the basket on that sink?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

atound the sink, I use "tub and tile sealant", NOT putty or silicone. The basket strainers, depending on the brand, I use plumber's putty, although some do NOT require anything other than the rubber seal.