Silicone Grease and Silicone Oil

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Larbo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Larbo

Larbo New Member

Years ago I found the joys of silicone grease for use with threaded and rubber-interfaced connections (never leave home without it... so to speak!).

I have a water faucet with a spout that rotates on the kitchen sink for an undercounter-type filter. That rotation has gotten a stiff over time and I thought about what kind of lubricant I could drip into that joint to safely loosen/lube it up. Anything petroleum based will ruin the o-ring and silicone grease is too thick to physically get to the problem area. Hence, my brain thought of silicone oil.

So, for this need, are there any recommended "oily" lubricants? Is silicone oil (not spray) safe to use here and is there a plumbing precedence for its general use in the field? Just wonderin'. Thanks