Silcock length

Users who are viewing this thread

Oilers

Reaction score
Hi, I have a moen outdoor frost free faucet (12" Silcock) that has started to leak this spring when the tap is on. If it is frost free why is it leaking? I even drained the lines and turned off the taps prior to winter? Moen is sending me a replacement faucet but only 10" as they no longer make the 12" model. My question is.... Why do they even make different lengths if it is being connected to pex tubing? Does it matter that I originally had 12" and m replacing it with 10". Why do they even make different sizes? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A frost free hosebib is intended to have the shutoff on the warm side of a wall. With a 2x4 wall, that would be a six inch. With a 2x6 wall, it's an 8"
If you had a 12", that might have been for a 2x4 wall and a brick exterior.

As far as yours leaking even though you took off the hose before it got cold enough to freeze and split it, I replace a lot of those that "I remembered to take the hose off" hosebibs. Kinda doesn't matter what the excuse is; it froze and split.
Maybe a fairy or a sprite was fooling with it. Who cares. It's going to be replaced, and it's just another split hosebib that we find every Spring. Funny we never find those in late Summer.

hosebib_split.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is it dripping from? May sound like a stupid question, but if they drip from the anti-siphon cap, there is a different cure. It is not always obvious unless you look for it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They make various lengths of freeze RESISTANT hose bibbs, because there are different thicknesses of walls. WHERE the leak is determines what you have to do to repair it. Normally, the only reason to replace one is because it DID freeze and crack. Saying it "leaks when the tap is on" can have more than one interpretation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks