Silcock Leaking - unknown mfg

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lowjaw, Jul 13, 2010.

1. lowjaw

lowjaw New Member

Hi all, I need some information to help my son with a leaking silcock.

Silcock: 1/4 turn, manufacturer unknown. Only clue is logo on handle. See picture.

Sympton: In off position, silcock was leaking at a slow "stream". Much more than a dribble or drops.

I pulled the valve out and found the split seal. See picture. I don't know if I damage this seal in removal or if this was the original problem. I'm looking for a replacement kit to refurbish.

Does anyone recognize this brand or where to get a refurb kit? Local Home Depot and 3 plumbers I've called did not.

Would this split seal be the cause of the leak described above, or is there likely a leak in the 1/4 turn mechanism? The O rings on the end appear to be good so I'm thinking they were not the original leak problem.

Are there generic seals available that would likely work if brand refurb kit not available?

This silcock is soldered on so this may be beyond my skill level to replace.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
    Cheers,
    Roger

Oh: we're located in Lake Zurich, a Chicago suburb in case of a location specific recommendation

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

CSA is Canadian Standards Association, which is a listing agency. Sort of like having a UL on it. ASSE 1079 is the spec it is built to, American Society of Safety Engineers Spec 1079.

That seal is purpose built just for that valve, there is no generic. HD certainly, and probably most plumbing supplies would not stock a kit. It will need to be ordered from the manufacturer. It is a sophisticated enough looking valve that a kit should be available, unless it is made in the Lucky Magic Sillcock Factory.

If you post pictures of the complete valve, someone may recognize it. Most better brands have their logo on it somewhere.
  3. lowjaw

lowjaw New Member

Thanks! With your reply above I realize why I had no joy in searching for a "CSA" silcock! With that out of my focus, I found this to be a B&K Mueller silcock. I searched online and found a youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwiaP2VO5M ) that helped differentiate the various B&K silcocks. With this knowledge I should now be able to find the refurb kit. This now seems much simpler, and your answer helped correct my focus. Thanks Jimbo.

Cheers,
    Roger

[video=youtube;7HwiaP2VO5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwiaP2VO5M[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010