Sign of the times. HE washing machine odor

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Couple things to add that haven't already been said:

1. If you have a bad smell in a front-loader, check under the seal. I found a kitchen sponge stuck in there and it reeked.

2. We have stopped using fabric softener and I that's been helpful for avoiding build-up on the drum. Fabric softener is basically wax. Actually makes your towels LESS absorbent, even if fluffier. We now use 1/2 cup cheap white vinegar. Everything comes out soft and no build-up.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I agree in the softner but I dunno if studies have been done on vinegar relative to the plastics if not the rubber seal...

It's important IMO for any homeowner to peel the gasket back periodically to see if there is buildup on the drum (if you do not know if you are doing ~best practice~) on the washer.

More hot/sanitary washes, hot wash cycles with bleach on a FULL laundry load....etc are all keys to a successful mold mildew free top loader. FULL Load = more water hitting the top parts of the drum.

It's not rocket scientist. But it does require work and *untraining* the mindset of how you used TL and how ones uses a Front Loader.
Leaving the door ajar and soap bin is standard operating procedure. Hot/bleach/full load combos are key to cleaning the *buildup* often with the culprit being softner that acts as a mechanisim...

Reaction score
Here is a interesting post about Israel importing american top loaders due to their advantages.

the main issue is that americans just wash clothes too often. Your bath towel, wiping a fresh clean body can go for 2 months with out a wash. try to tell your wife that. Blue jeans? Give me a WEEK.

http://www.greenprophet.com/2009/04/washing-machine-water-saving/

In reading the article I failed to see much "advantage." In fact it refuted many of them. Seemed rather pointless really.

If you live in a dry climate bath towels can last a long time (as we see in winter.) Otherwise, they get an odor from being wet & warm and not drying rapidly enough between use.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In reading the article I failed to see much "advantage." In fact it refuted many of them. Seemed rather pointless really.

If you live in a dry climate bath towels can last a long time (as we see in winter.) Otherwise, they get an odor from being wet & warm and not drying rapidly enough between use.

On nuclear submarines...we did have a washing machine. Water was available almost always. Each division was alloted one day per week when the machine was available to them. That meant between 15 to 20 folks per day. The cooks/officers sort of had free rein. Most guys tried to do wash every other week, as washing interfered with the little available sleep time. You had to remain in the head ( where the machine is located) the whole time, as fires in the dryer were greatly feared! The washer was I think from sweden, a front loader that used VERY little water, and spun at about 2000 rpm.

As for our bath towel, about 1/2 of the crew had some kind of towel rack available, but the others just spread the damp towel out on top of the bunk. They seemd to dry out that way ( air circulation was good), and pretty much the air smelled so bad you didn't really notice anything with the towel!!!!!

Reaction score
You will be fixing the front loader much more often, I wonder why... what really beats your clothes up and wears them out are the dryers, you should line them dry outside, lol. Winter doesn't work too well, but, it is a money saver. ;) you just got to loosen them up a bit before wearing.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2663827/posts

So, the front loader uses less water, but, it can make your rooms vibrate, and rip up your clothes, read the posts above; it can make your clothes smelly, and causes a mold. Nah... I think, I like the top loader. :)

I like to smell good. lol, there are enough of people who stink in this world. I don't want to be one. :) and, if you have to rewash the clothes it bites into the savings, eh.

One of the reasons we had for replacing the old top loader is that it didn't clean well unless there was only half a load in it. The space-wasting, laundry-abusing agitator couldn't churn full loads well, resulting in stratification. We didn't care much for doing twice as many loads to get the clothes clean.

As most reviews note the top loaders are the ones that have trouble that results in ripping up clothes. The agitators are bad about this. Again folks note that they are seeing less lint in the dryer with front loaders--despite the much smaller wash and rinse volume in the wash (that would remove some of the damaged fabric before the laundry was removed to the dryer.) That indicates a lot less abrasion of the fabric is occurring during the wash.

As I've pointed out (as have others) mold issues can be avoided and remedied, plus you can get mold in top loaders too!

I've also had top loaders get a load out of balance and walk around beating themselves and other things up. Front loaders are sensitive to being well leveled, otherwise vibration can be an issue. They have shutdowns built in for out of balance situations.

Only time will tell on repairs. My in-laws have at least 5 years on theirs, I can't recall them having repairs...and of course it replaced a dead top loader. My old top loader had a transmission replacement in the 1st year or so and I had to do at least three other repairs myself that I can recall. Water solenoids failed every 7 years almost like clockwork (did it twice), plus I had lid switch failure. Then there was the time I had to disassemble the top loader and clean inaccessible areas to get rid of mold/mildew. Our LG has been in service for three and a half years without repair. At present, even repairs are in the front loader's favor for us. However, I don't expect that to last forever because of the more complex design. I expect the control board will go in the 10 yr range.

The one plus about the old top loading washers was that a DIYer who could troubleshoot and use tools could replace about anything on them. When I read some reviews of the HE top loaders I noticed a lot of complaints about failure in midcycle and locking wet laundry in for days until a warranty tech could get to it. What a lovely smell that must have been. Might as well pitch the clothes when they come out. (This might have been limited to the specific model.)

Outside drying is not an option here (HOA) and even where it has been an option it had its pit falls. Humid environment, overcast, or wet weather prevented clothes from drying. Winds would blow things onto the laundry or the laundry onto the ground. We did a few loads twice because of such issues. The sun also is hard on colors. Occasionally a snake or lizard would make its way into the house with the laundry from the line. We still hang some items indoors to dry, or don't fully dry before hanging indoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
On the rubber and vinegar thing. I suspect the gray rubber seals/gaskets will prove much more durable than black rubber. I'm not even familiar with what the material in them is, but where I've come across what appears to be the same type, they've held up extremely well. Of course, that doesn't help any black hoses still in use...

Reaction score
As for our bath towel, about 1/2 of the crew had some kind of towel rack available, but the others just spread the damp towel out on top of the bunk. They seemd to dry out that way ( air circulation was good), and pretty much the air smelled so bad you didn't really notice anything with the towel!!!!!

Reminds me of reading Das Boat as well as what astronauts have to say about long missions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The weight of my front loader (a Samsung) is VERY heavy - if I remember, shipping weight was nearly 300#, and it definately took two strong people to place it on the pedestal. The thing doesn't budge when spinning on high.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of those new machines that Wash and Dry ?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bet your wife loves you. AND, top loaders make much more sense when using 2 people. I repeat, makes much more sense. :)
Sorry Cookie, my friend. I agree with Runs with Bison. I am older than you, as is my wife. Just the 2 of us here now, and my wife likes the front loaders better than any top loader we ever head. It IS a matter of preference. My wife used to leave the lid open on the top loaders too, to avoid mold and any possible rusting.

Now you two show a little respect to each other, lol.

Ian always had to win every argument , but he is not here any mo.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I think "Runs with bison" is referring to the "rip up your clothes" part of an earlier post. Runs counter to what everyone else is saying. Sure, there are isolated incidents of disasters in all types of washers.

Personally, I just assumed it of was a minor lapse in an otherwise valid post or just bad luck on Cookie's part. Hey Cookie, have you seen and/or heard of clothes getting ripped up by front loaders?

Not tellin anyone what they can or can't say, but there are right and wrong ways to disagree with someone. Best is usually to counter specifics directly, not make blanket statements, like the wife always does ;)

So far, I like the front loader better, but it's still too early to tell -- and there are trade-offs some of which will take years...

As for the economics, I spend probably send in 10 times as much for California income tax as I spend on utilities -- too mad all the time to notice any difference!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I think "Runs with bison" is referring to the "rip up your clothes" part of an earlier post. Runs counter to what everyone else is saying. Sure, there are isolated incidents of disasters in all types of washers.

Personally, I just assumed it of was a minor lapse in an otherwise valid post or just bad luck on Cookie's part. Hey Cookie, have you seen and/or heard of clothes getting ripped up by front loaders?
into it.

Not tellin anyone what they can or can't say, but there are right and wrong ways to disagree with someone. Best is usually to counter specifics directly, not make blanket statements, like the wife always does ;)

So far, I like the front loader better, but it's still too early to tell -- and there are trade-offs some of which will take years...

As for the economics, I spend probably send in 10 times as much for California income tax as I spend on utilities -- too mad all the time to notice any difference!

Yep, used them.

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of those new machines that Wash and Dry ?

My aunt had an LG one like that. They have discontinued making them. I was thinking about getting one for the rental house instead of a stackable unit. They are OK. They take too long to dry. It has a condensing dryer and no exaust vent. Many reviews i read about them said they have chose to add an additional dryer ontop or next to the washer due to the extended dry time (sometimes 4 hrs)
I think they are good for what they are;if you had no space or venting options. It's either that or cart to the laundromat. My aunt still brought over comforters and bulky things to wash at our house. Not sure if it was because it wouldn't fit or wouldn't dry properly.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
LG still makes the combo units. A 24" and a 27", at least they are still on the website.

huh.. that's strange. when i went on there before, they all said discontinued. maybe it was the year before's s models or something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The combo units (at least those I've seen) have what amounts to a dehumidifer in them, and they take FOREVER to run a cycle (like in 2-3 hours). After it finishes the wash, it tumbles things while running the air through the dehumidifer, eventually drying the clothes. A full load takes much longer because there's very little room for the dry air to circulate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks