Side venting of basement bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ctkeebler, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ctkeebler

ctkeebler New Member

Hello
    I live in Connecticut and and am thinking about putting a basement bath room in during a remodel. I cant easily get to the upstairs vent stack.

My question is: I was told I could run the vent out the side of the house, but there is height code. Does anybody know how high off of grade does the side vent have to be?

Thanks alot.

Tom
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

How tall are you? Unless it comes out above your head you are going to smell sewer gas every time you go past it. You will probably smell it anyway, but it may be less frequently. Maybe not all in the winter time when it freezes over with hoarfrost.
  3. ctkeebler

ctkeebler New Member

Thanks for the information. I guess Im better off venting the second bathroom on its own vent and go through the roof.

Now I have to figure out how to tell my wife to finish the bathroom I need to make a hole in the kitchen wall (that she just remodeled and painted) to run a pvc vent pipe.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Assuming your existing vent is large enough, you can add the new one from the basement into it so you don't need a second hole in the roof. No problems adding one if you don't want to join them in, say, the attic.